10 replies to this topic

#1 AceBasinCock

AceBasinCock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

If we had lost 3 starters to injuries last year, we would not have sniffed 6 wins. I recognize that 6 wins is no guarantee this year, but I certainly feel an air of confidence from our players that has been missing for several years. We may not light it up this year, but we are certainly maximizing our potential and continuing to mature as a team. I may still have some issues with the offensive play calling but overall my hat goes off to this coaching staff for what they have been able to do over the last two years.

#2 sec rules

sec rules

What, Me Worry?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • LocationBack in Ma!

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

Wonderful assessment, Ace, and I, too, sense the team confidence building....especially with T-Rob's troops.

If we continue on this path, the future looks bright, with many good times thrown our way....continuing this Sat. against "Hot Seat Jones"!

Just love Leopard Lax!

#3 jaxbeachcock

jaxbeachcock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Beach, FL

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:16 PM

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending how you look at the team, there was really very little room for improvement on the defensive side of the ball against Arkansas. The Defense played lights out, which shocked me giving how much they were on the field in the 1st half. Watching the defense dance to the DJ in the 4th quarter tells you everything about their attitude. The offense however was different, Jake just overthrows everybody in the first half with a very stagnant offense although there were some bright spots. Our offense has a ton of room for improvement, which is a good thing.  Our offense was almost outscored by the defense and if that play had not been reversed they would have. If we expect the defense to give us 24 points every game, we could be in trouble. We definitely will have our work cut out for us this Saturday,  and it could get ugly quick. Jake needs to lay off the Red Bull, maybe switch to the sugar free.

Go Gamecocks!!!

#4 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:00 PM

Many good things notes, a few negatives. Jakes passing must improve, many points thrown away overhead so far this year and large gains too, how much longer before he gets some real QB coaching, kicker needs work on the long but seems like his confidence is improving and his long misses are closer. All said on this thread I like very much, no dissent. Some play calling still questionable but improvement noted.

Flanker sweeps, tunnel screen, RPO at 3yard line produced TD, etc. noted, still runs straight ahead when defense is bunched up are questionable. Why not speed option inside of 5, forget the runs into a bunched up defense.

Hope defense intensity is contagious. Meaningless TDs allowed by our reserves make score look more respectable. Someone should post the picture of Arky QB Allen standing looking beat up and forlorn on sideline during 4Q. Announcer said if Arky didn't tighten up their reserve QB would look like that soon. That picture would be a good one to post in the locker room.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#5 LexCock

LexCock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

...kicker needs work on the long but seems like his confidence is improving and his long misses are closer.

I read an article this morning indicating that he was 4 for 5 inside of 40 yards - he just hasn't made any of his attempts beyond 40.  That puts some perspective on it.  He will get better on the long ones, I'm sure.

#6 SteelGamecock

SteelGamecock

Steve Spurrier's Caddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationWalking with the Ball Coach

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

Many good things to point out.  As Madden said: "Winning is a great deodorant.”  Don't let the deodorant fool you.  The offense is still a pile of stink.  

09-34-17 / 10-29-07 / 11-34-13 / 12-27-17 / 13-31-17

#7 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 5,197 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

The kid has a cannon for a leg.  Hopefully he can shake this off, build some confidence and be a good one.  In his defense, to my eye, it looks like there have been some issues with the holder getting a good placement for him, so that may be part of the issue.

Posted Image

#8 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:18 PM

Many good things to point out.  As Madden said: "Winning is a great deodorant.”  Don't let the deodorant fool you.  The offense is still a pile of stink.  

I agree about the win swelling heads. We aren’t going to get defensive touchdowns every game. It does feel good seeing the defense all fired up. Our speed is impressive and the guys know what to do. Jake has many very good receivers in our wides and tight ends. He has some work to do with his mechanics. We miss Brandon Mcllwain as a back up or starter if Jake went down. He would have developed if he stuck around in both of his sports. Unless Jake goes down we will not see Mike throw a pass.
I really like our staff and how they are building.

#9 wingchuncock

wingchuncock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:25 AM

The improvement in our defense has to help our offense. Jake has been pressing. There were a couple of nice play calls during the game, the TD to Hurst, the 3rd down to August, the sweeps....much better than run up the middle for 1 yard and 2 overthrown passes and a punt.

#10 LexCock

LexCock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

I still want to see Shi Smith run a jet sweep.

#11 2cocky4u

2cocky4u

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:49 PM

The defense was lights out in preparation and our energy led to incredible execution and efficiency in the 2nd half. The way our defense played we would be a top 4 team in the sec year in and year out. 

The offense is a work in progress. I have heard Jake would only stay 3 years before going pro, but he has a ways to go in theory and practicality. His throwing is inaccurate and he needs to audible to better plays. We need to also open up the play book to help Jake's offense not be so dang predictable and for goodness sake put a big back in when you are slamming the ball in the line for one or two yards not Turner "the burner" which is our small running back.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users