#1 williewonk

williewonk

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:43 PM

So you're the coach of a bad team and you are playing Colorado on the road.Your QB goes down on the first series of the game, so....
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XCXXXXXXXXX;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Arizona sophomore Khalil Tate filled in for a banged-up Brandon Dawkins under center in the first quarter of the Wildcats game against Colorado. After a historic performance in a 45-42 win by the Wildcats, it’s easy to envision him locking up the starting job for the time being.

Tate looked like the real-life incarnation of Michael Vick in Madden 2004, running wild for an FBS-quarterback-record 327 yards and four touchdowns on only 14 rushes, good for a mind-numbing 23.4 yards per carry. He broke the previous mark of 321 set by Northern Illinois’ Jordan Lynch in 2013. Lynch needed 27 carries to reach that number though, nearly double that of Tate’s.

The backup signal-caller—for now, at least—wasn’t too shabby through the air either, completing 11 of his 12 passes for 142 yards and another touchdown. It was his legs, however, that stole the show, as Tate’s scoring runs went for 58, 28, 47 and 75 yards.

Edited by williewonk, 09 October 2017 - 07:44 PM.

#2 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:58 PM

I was at the game when Jeff Grantz set the rushing record for a QB, at the time. Relying on my somewhat shaky memory, I believe it was against Ohio University and he ran for 260 yards AND he returned a kickoff for a TD, maybe around 90 yards or so. How many starting QB's have returned a KO for a TD in NCAA history? Can't be many. Great game.

Edited by brat, 10 October 2017 - 03:48 AM.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#3 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 5,380 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

I never knew Grantz returned a kickoff for a TD...  Wish I could have seen him play.

Posted Image

#4 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 9,351 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

I never knew Grantz returned a kickoff for a TD... Wish I could have seen him play.

Me too. I showed up at USC as a wide-eyed freshman in 1977. Jeff was just before my time.

#5 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 5,380 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

At least you were there to see Big George play.  I never saw him in person either.  I went to my first game in 1976 and didn't go to another until 1981...

Posted Image

#6 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 9,351 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:08 PM

George and I were classmates. My first interviews as a freshman with the Gamecock student newspaper were the incoming freshmen players - George, Willie Scott, Johnnie Wright...

#7 BionicCock

BionicCock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

Jeff could play several sports and play them well. He played baseball as well as football and excelled in them!!

Children are Flowers that Bloom in the Heart!

#8 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 5,380 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

But Big George graduated with my class in 1989. Thought that was pretty cool...
Posted Image

#9 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 9,351 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:58 PM

Yeah yeah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users