3 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 9,137 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:13 AM

McElwain is 22-10 in his first 32 games, which is the same record Will Muschamp had at this stage of his UF tenure. But Muschamp left McElwain with more than a dozen defensive players that are now on NFL rosters. And those defensive players are responsible for nearly all 22 of his victories. Consider this: When an opponent has scored more than 14 points during McElwain’s reign, the Gators are 5-10 in those 15 games.

McElwain was brought in to ignite the offense, but this unit has been worse than it was during Muschamp’s time at the helm of what Steve Spurrier once called, “this great big battleship that we call Gator football.” UF is currently ranked No. 103 of 130 FBS teams in total offense. The Gators are No. 93 in the nation in scoring with a 25.0 points-per-game average, but don’t forget that Florida has three defensive TDs. Without those, UF would be averaging 20.8 PPG.

UF averaged 23.2 and 23.9 PPG in McElwain’s first two seasons. Muschamp’s last team scored at a 30.3 PPG clip.

Guess what else? McElwain’s recruiting has been the worst this program has seen in decades. Even Ron Zook recruited at an extremely high level. And the great defensive players Muschamp left are nearly all gone. That side of the ball is sliding rapidly and experiencing fatigue with a lot of young players getting a ton of playing time.

http://brianedwardss...e-for-mcelwain/

#2 GACock

GACock

Baseball Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationBehind the right field palmetto at Carolina Stadium

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:18 AM

Convinces me even more that we got a steal in hiring Muschamp. Given what he has been through in Gainesville, he knows exactly what this job in Columbia means to him and his future in coaching. I think Champ would rather have a bullet to the eye than to face failure for a second time… at an SEC school. THis is all he wants for now and he knows we "rolled the dice" on him. I think those dice are loaded.

Which makes me believe he will monitor our offense progression or woes. Time does not stand still if things need to be corrected; Champ knows this.

Go Gamecocks!!!

gacock

#3 Q-ball

Q-ball

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

I've always been of the opinion that Florida dismissed Muschamp too soon.

d0d70a9a8dd35dceda60b29e7ef90198_720.jpg

#4 sec rules

sec rules

What, Me Worry?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • LocationBack in Ma!

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:19 AM

Ahh, I can see the light, Q-b, your post has artistic and creative over tones.

"I've always been of the opinion"......very smooth, indeed!

Just love Leopard Lax!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users