#1 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

He just said,"I think we all agree that we all think we have a pretty good offensive football team."

I am not among the number that thinks that based on high passes and runs into stacked up defenses. If we are average in the SEC offensively statistically I would be surprised.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#2 jaxbeachcock

jaxbeachcock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Beach, FL

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

Doesn't even sound right, lol. But I understand not throwing Roper under the bus mid-season, I get it.

Go Gamecocks!!!

#3 SteelGamecock

SteelGamecock

Steve Spurrier's Caddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWalking with the Ball Coach

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

LOL. No, no we don't. But coach has to put a positive spin on it.

“Fortunately I always keep a spare in my locker.”

#4 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 9,351 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

My favorite out quote from today’s presser:

Muschamp said you can't put a scale on the amount of momentum turnovers create for a football team and how much it deflates the opponent. His players say they want to be the top turnover team in the country. Muschamp said the No. 1 priority on this team is protecting the ball and getting the ball.

#5 jaxbeachcock

jaxbeachcock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Beach, FL

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

His next quote will probably be something like " It's always important to score more points than the other team if you want to win games", lol.

Go Gamecocks!!!

#6 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

Doesn't even sound right, lol. But I understand not throwing Roper under the bus mid-season, I get it.

Go Gamecocks!!!

I tried to carefully quote him accurately and have it written this way in my journal, because I couldn't believe he said it when he said it and hoped immediately that he was just covering for Roper.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#7 wingchuncock

wingchuncock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:58 AM

I tried to carefully quote him accurately and have it written this way in my journal, because I couldn't believe he said it when he said it and hoped immediately that he was just covering for Roper.

I think a big part of the offensive woes is lack of proper execution. We don't have enough skill players to make plays on their own, every single play. When the OL gels and starts knocking people back instead of pretending to be a turn stile, then we will get a better feel for how good/bad our offense is going to be. I will say I liked the play calls better for the Arkansas game than any so far.

#8 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

"I am not among the number that thinks that based on high passes and runs into stacked up defenses."

Our pass completion percentage has to improve greatly, as does our running play calling.  Our banged up OL doesn't help but better execution from our QB, WRs and RBs is also key.  If I were Roper, I would through out any running plays that are designed to have our RBs run up the middle.  We just don't have the OL to do this well consistently.

I agree wing, the offensive play calling was as good as its been against Arkansas.  It will need to be good again against the Viles, otherwise our defense will likely be counted on more than normal to win in Knoxville.  

"Mon Denson from 24 yards out, Touchdown Carolina!, Touchdown Mon Denson!....It's his first Touchdown as a Gamecock!"  - Todd Ellis

#9 Taragirl87x

Taragirl87x

Lady Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts
  • Location8 miles from Clemson in a town called Seneca so feel my pain lol

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Amen SG. This constantly up the middle does not work! Its time to be creative and try other options!

#10 SteelGamecock

SteelGamecock

Steve Spurrier's Caddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWalking with the Ball Coach

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

<38% on 3rd down conversions isn't going to win many prizes.

“Fortunately I always keep a spare in my locker.”

#11 williewonk

williewonk

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

On the bright side, UT's offensive line is as bad as ours.

#12 BionicCock

BionicCock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

How many teams are there in the top 30 teams that are playing with 18 and 19 year old players? ANSWER: NONE! How many sophomores and freshmen are carrying a team in the top 20? If you said "none" you got it right. The team these coaches found when they took the job could hardly say they could beat themselves out of a wet paper bag! Yet, many on this board act as if we should be a great team already. After each game, won or lost,people are ready to fire this coach or another coach. The same thing was done when SOS didn't win the National Championship his first 2 years. For the past 40++ years there's always folks who know more than the coaches. Well, it's easier to turn around a company than one can turn around a football team! Don't believe it, try it! 

Children are Flowers that Bloom in the Heart!

#13 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

Hey Bionic, I think I have my expectations under control. It's just that coming into Arky we ran the same plays that didn't work over and over. Now with Arky we have some new looks and deception. Still had some plays that seem like the caller is a masochist but overall better. Nobody wants to fire anybody that I know of, it just seems there needed to be changes in approcah and there were for that game, I think your evaluation is a little stringent but thats OK. The defense was prepared differently to where we put on a pass rush instead of letting the QB have all day whle we played a soft zone. The Cocks put Allen out in the 3rd quarter. You can say what you want about us thinking we know more than the coaches but I will say my wife could have callled a better game against A & M and KY. So I guess you are right about us thinking we know more than the  coaches. They started doing what we had been calling for against Arky and look at the result. I would say we were right and the coaches were wrong in previous games. Several of the people that post on this board are experienced and knowledgeable enough to run a football program in the SEC and our critiques many times are on point.

Edited by Cockyprince, 11 October 2017 - 06:25 PM.

#14 sec rules

sec rules

What, Me Worry?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
  • LocationBack in Ma!

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:29 PM

I've never liked "sunshine pumpers".

If it's cloudy as all Hell, the "greenies" are voracious, and the forecast sucks, I don't want to hear that the sun may break through any minute and it's not that bad.

Time to get our asses off the beach, back to the hotel for a swim, and out for Early Birds.

If our offensive production is anemic, weekly game-plans flounder and under achieve, our QB needs intensive work on his mechanics, we can't find a back that fills our needs, the O-line is into the 3 deep, and can't open a hole or get any push.........why tell us things look "pretty good".

They don't, and they aren't.

Coach could have said...."We've hit some bumps in the road, but we're working our tails off to smooth out the ride, and get it to cruise control."

Or....  "Our O is not firing on all cylinders, we're in the middle of a tune-up, and we'll get to peak performance as soon as we can."

Something that sounds realistic, offers up hope for continued improvement, and addresses problems with potential remedies.

I have faith we'll get there, and still have confidence in our Coaching staff..... I just don't want the BS slung. Honest appraisals, and objective assessments, is what I'm looking for, and want to hear.

Just love Leopard Lax!

#15 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:20 AM

We rank 106 out of 129 in total offense thus far in 2017 so how stupid does Will's statement sound??

http://www.ncaa.com/...rent/team/21/p3

#16 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:08 AM

If you change it to , "I think we all agree that we all think we have pretty good offensive football players" or ,"I think we all agree that we all think we have pretty good offensive potential." Then he would be right. I just hope it was something along those lines as to what he was thinking when he said it. I really hope so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users