#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 9,839 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:58 PM

From The Big Spur:

South Carolina head basketball coach Frank Martin just landed his highest rated recruit in program history, and it will make national news.

Brian Bowen (La Porte, Ind./La Lumiere School) will attend South Carolina bringing an end to a tumultuous few months that saw him enroll at Louisville only to leave after the school decided he would not play for the Cardinals.

Bowen enrolled at Louisville and began taking classes but his world turned upside down in late September when the FBI brought four college basketball coaches up on federal fraud and corruption charges. In those documents were details alleging that Bowen, who was not mentioned by name, was steered to Louisville by his father, who was to receive $100,000 from an agent and an ADIDAS rep.

Once discovered, the Cardinals kept him from practicing and despite being cleared by the FBI of “investigative impediments” on November 2, the school announced he would not play for the program and granted him a release.

The 6-foot-7, 195-pounder didn’t want to go to Europe or the G-League and waited for the right opportunity to emerge in the college ranks. That opportunity came from South Carolina.

Bowen is a former McDonald’s All-American and five-star recruit in the 247Sports Composite with a 0.9941 rating. He was considered the No. 19 player in the 2017 recruiting class. He was considered a five-star prospect by 247Sports, which ranked him as the No. 13 prospect nationally.

#2 SteelGamecock

SteelGamecock

Steve Spurrier's Caddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts
  • LocationWalking with the Ball Coach

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

Well! Hopefully he will play with a chip on his shoulder and prove his stuff.

“Fortunately I always keep a spare in my locker.”

#3 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 9,839 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

http://es.pn/2D1migw

#4 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 5,648 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

According to TOS, he'll be eligible at the beginning of the 2018-19 season, but will likely have to sit out a yet to be determined number of games. Big pickup for Frank though.
Posted Image

#5 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 9,839 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

Rivals Jamie Shaw implies there’s one, (and possibly two) other whales out there to come soon.

#6 LexCock

LexCock

Frank McGuire BB School Alumnus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:48 PM

This is big news.  Maybe it will entice another big name or two to come play with him.

"Free Throw Shooting Champion"

#7 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:14 AM

Whoa buddy, after watching us play Bama last night I was getting depressed. With this guy and the NY guard we have in school but sitting out right now, that gives me hope for tomorrow. Not too much to hope for this year but 2018 & 2019 cold be something better.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#8 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

Wow, this commitment came straight out of left field! 

This indeed gives me more hope that Frank is leveraging last years Final 4 appearance to greatly improve the talent level here, especially from an offensive standpoint.  I'm really looking forward to see who the other 1-2 possible big commitments will be!  The fact that coach Martin also has some highly skilled 2019 recruits interested makes the future look that much brighter.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#9 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

:dancincocky: This is a HUGE addition to the men basketball program!!!

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#10 williewonk

williewonk

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:28 AM

I think there is another 5* guy floating around that just decommitted from L'ville...maybe get a package deal ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users