15 replies to this topic

#1 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:05 PM

PG Josiah James (6-6) is the top high school basketball player in the state for the 2019 class. I like what he said in the article below about the Gamecocks!!!

Article

Edited by fanalways, 07 March 2018 - 04:07 PM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#2 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:00 PM

“A school that’s definitely been showing me a lot of interest of late is Michigan State,” said James. “They were at my last game and Coach [Tom] Izzo is coming down later this week. It was great to receive an offer from them because that’s my dad’s alma mater and that would be great for my family."

MSU will be tough to beat out for Josiah's services.  Hopefully FM can work his magic and convince him to stay instate.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#3 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:30 PM

I thought Izzo was involved in the huge FBI story. It’s strange how this story disappeared as we head into March Madness. Without players and coaches, there would be no March and no money. It does give me hope regarding Brian Bowen. Maybe Frank will use his players to help recruit. We need him.

#4 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

Having a 6-6 point guard that can see over the defense and get in the passing lanes is a great asset.

Article

Edited by fanalways, 30 May 2018 - 04:38 PM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#5 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:36 PM

He has been selected to the U-18 USA Team.

Article

Edited by fanalways, 07 June 2018 - 02:39 PM.

#6 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

Josiah plans to sign in November. There is a great workout video of Josiah below.

Video I

Video II

Edited by fanalways, 03 July 2018 - 04:44 AM.

#7 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:22 AM

James has cut his list down to 9 schools and the Gamecocks are on it!!! :)

Article

Edited by fanalways, 08 July 2018 - 09:40 AM.

#8 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:32 AM

He will be visiting Duke soon. Coach K will try to get him to join Zion Williamson. James, who is the # 1 PG in the nation, can leave a legacy with the Gamecock men program that live forever instead of being just another 5-star recruit at Duke.

Video

Edited by fanalways, 09 August 2018 - 06:34 AM.

#9 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:04 AM

Coach Martin did a good job recruiting Josiah. The future of the instate high school basketball talent is getting better each year and Coach Martin is continuing to work hard putting the Gamecocks in a position to sign many of them. Instate commit Trae Hannibal is going to be a bigtime player for Coach Martin.

Article

Edited by fanalways, 16 August 2018 - 04:30 AM.

#10 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:10 PM

The top talent in the class is shunning in-state schools.  I read the 6 top players are either committed to out of state schools or have said they won't stay in-state.

I don't know what Frank can do about it.  I like the guy.  He just doesn't have a magic touch with these players.

Without Sin and PJ we wouldn't have had a FF run.

Gamecock Barbie Heard That Something Called Conference Games Are Really, Really Important

#11 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:25 PM

The top talent in the class is shunning in-state schools.  I read the 6 top players are either committed to out of state schools or have said they won't stay in-state.

I don't know what Frank can do about it.  I like the guy.  He just doesn't have a magic touch with these players.

Without Sin and PJ we wouldn't have had a FF run.

It has to do with the overall past success (lack of success) of the men basketball program before Coach Martin. Before Coach Martin the men team hadn't won a NCAA Tournament game in about 30 + years, longer than some of the current high school players been born/alive. They only thing they associate the Gamecock men basketball program with is losing, while they see schools like Duke, NC, and Michigan St have been in the Final Four playing for the National Championship. The same thing happened to Coach Staley who started out with three straight losing seasons before she turned around the women basketball program and started to win SEC Championships and the National Championship. Coach Martin is changing the culture and planting the seeds to long-term success by going around the state and building relationships with high school players and coaches (both current and retired coaches). Coach Martin is doing an excellent job and the BEST is yet to come. It will take time to undo 30+ years off losing and change the public image in the mind of instate boys high school players.

Edited by fanalways, 17 August 2018 - 11:35 PM.

#12 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:51 PM

Josiah has narrowed it down to Clemson, Michigan State, Tennessee and Duke.  Why are Clemson and Tennessee having more success in our state than us?  That's very disappointing.  I also read recently where Malcolm Wilson recently announced a Final 3 of Clemson, Rice and Georgetown.  Another top instate player crossing us off his list.

Juwan Gary left the state for Alabama, not exactly a good example of a program that's enjoyed much success in basketball.  We continue to lose battles instate for various reasons, but when top players decide to go out of state to schools like Alabama and Tennessee, that's a bit troubling.  These programs don't have a history any richer than ours. 

I also worry that our unfriendly rival in the Northwest part of the state appears to be gaining ground on the court and on the recruiting trail.  I hope that the Final 4 wasn't a one hit wonder for coach Martin as some feel it was.  He badly needed to use that as a springboard to improve recruiting and thus far the results have been mixed.  Hopefully this season we see marked improvement and once again start beating our dreaded rival again.

Edited by SouthernGamecock, 18 August 2018 - 08:18 PM.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#13 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:33 AM

Josiah has narrowed it down to Clemson, Michigan State, Tennessee and Duke.  Why are Clemson and Tennessee having more success in our state than us?  That's very disappointing.  I also read recently where Malcolm Wilson recently announced a Final 3 of Clemson, Rice and Georgetown.  Another top instate player crossing us off his list.

Juwan Gary left the state for Alabama, not exactly a good example of a program that's enjoyed much success in basketball.  We continue to lose battles instate for various reasons, but when top players decide to go out of state to schools like Alabama and Tennessee, that's a bit troubling.  These programs don't have a history any richer than ours. 

I also worry that our unfriendly rival in the Northwest part of the state appears to be gaining ground on the court and on the recruiting trail.  I hope that the Final 4 wasn't a one hit wonder for coach Martin as some feel it was.  He badly needed to use that as a springboard to improve recruiting and thus far the results have been mixed.  Hopefully this season we see marked improvement and once again start beating our dreaded rival again.

I think Clemson is a courtesy thing for Josiah. He’s probably going to join Zion at Duke. Brad Brownell is using transfers just like Frank. Those AAU guys just encourage these guys to leave or so I heard.

#14 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:02 PM

I think Clemson is a courtesy thing for Josiah. He’s probably going to join Zion at Duke. Brad Brownell is using transfers just like Frank. Those AAU guys just encourage these guys to leave or so I heard.

Great point. I also think Josiah's father might have played at Michigan State.

Edited by fanalways, 19 August 2018 - 09:12 PM.

#15 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

The player from Canada that Coach Martin signed was ranked higher than Juwan Gary. He committed early basically taking Gary's spot. I am very excited to see him play. Coach Martin also signed another big man from the Washington DC/Maryland area, so he took the spot that would have been available for 6-11 Malcolm Wilson. Both of the out-of-state players Coach Martin signed are BETTER than the two instate players mentioned. Getting top talented players whether out-of-state or instate is priority #1. It doesn't do the men basketball program any good signing an instate player if he isn't SEC TALENTED and he just on the bench taking up a scholarship. It's better to sign an out-of-state guy like Chris Silva (Co-SEC Defensive Player of the Year) that can play than to sign a bad instate player.

Edited by fanalways, 19 August 2018 - 09:28 PM.

#16 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:13 PM

Fan, I've been a huge supporter of coach Martin since we hired him but I feel that his recruiting overall has been less than stellar.  I base this more on attrition than anything else.  All schools experience attrition but not at such a high level consistently.  He can't continue to sign 4-5 players in a cycle, only to have 1-2 of those players stay here long enough to graduate. 

I do agree that this most recent class appears to be a pretty good one.  I do feel that signing top instate players in basketball is important, much like football.  Coach Muschamp has narrowed the gap over the past 3 years and appears to keeping many of the best instate players home.  Hopefully Martin can improve on this going forward.  Landing Trae Hannibal from Hartsville was big.  In the past his best 2 players were from the state of S.C., Sindarious Thornwell and PJ Dozier, both of whom made it possible for us to make it to the Final 4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users