18 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,188 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:53 AM

According to a report on NCAA.com, kickoffs can now be fair caught anywhere between the goal line and 25-yard line and be treated like a touchback, putting the ball on the 25 for the offense.

https://www.saturday...hange-kickoffs/

#2 Q-ball

Q-ball

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:45 AM

That is definitely a major rule change.

orders-up-find-her-38-photos-27.jpg?qual

#3 redoakman

redoakman

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

Guess​ ​we should just go ahead and use the OT rules to eliminate kickoffs and those long yardage plays which might lead to some injury.  That would also shorten the length of the game along with the field where someone could get hurt.  Of course, we wouldn't need to have 100 yard long fields anymore, it could be like half-court basketball.  I think technology is moving to enable equipment manufacturers to reduce potential long-term effects and the rules which are already in place are for that reason.

#4 BionicCock

BionicCock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:46 PM

Why don't they get rid of the kick off and just put the ball on the foes 20 yard line. That way the teams just get 20 yards to go for a TD! Then we can never have to have any kickers. WOW! this will be "electric" all over the stadium! Can't wait to see it! Also, the stadium will be smaller since there is only 20 yards to play. I'M FOR IT!    :unsure:  :wacko:  :o  B)

Children are Flowers that Bloom in the Heart!

#5 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:50 PM

Let's have a series of coin flips to determine the winner of each of the 11 games and continue the flipping with the best records into the bowl season and to determine the National Champion. All you would need to do is recruit the best coin flipper out there. No injuries, almost no expense, too.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#6 vaquero59

vaquero59

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • LocationFrom Charleston but living in Hickory, NC

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:41 PM

The old saying, "That's why they play the game." would be out the window. We could just flip a coin to determine the winner of each game.

#7 williewonk

williewonk

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:51 PM

I am trying to come up with a situation where the receiving team would call a fair catch between the goal line and the 25 yard line.....? Any ideas ?

Edited by williewonk, 14 April 2018 - 04:58 PM.

#8 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,188 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:46 PM

I am trying to come up with a situation where the receiving team would call a fair catch between the goal line and the 25 yard line.....? Any ideas ?

I had similar thoughts.

#9 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

KO returners​ will not fair catch. You can train then to not return any KO 2 yards into the end zone and still in the game situation they run it out from much deeper than that that. You can threaten to kick them off the team if they ever field a bal in the end zone and still they will catch one and run it out from 7 yards deep. Its in their blood to return the ball not fair catch it.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#10 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,023 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:05 PM

This is the game evolving toward player safety.  The NCAA went to the 25 yard line on touch-backs to encourage players to not return.  Like CP says though, KO returners want to return sometimes despite the way they are coached.   

I think the new rule provides an opportunity to keep the game safer, but if I'm a guy that wants to return a kick-off from 5 yards deep, then I'm damn gonna go for it when I'm on the 5 yard line. 

It does address kicking teams "skying it" to pin down the receiving team deep.  Now they at least have a chance to fair catch.

Gamecock Barbie Heard That Bryan Gilinski Will Be a Really, Really Good Quarterback 

#11 williewonk

williewonk

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

It does address kicking teams "skying it" to pin down the receiving team deep. Now they at least have a chance to fair catch.

Tap...that’s the only thing I could come up with as well.

#12 Q-ball

Q-ball

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:26 PM

The fair catch has always been there. Spotting the ball on the 25 yard line has not.

652f5d360feeea04e1c9383557b997571.jpg?qu

#13 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,023 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:27 PM

The fair catch has always been there. Spotting the ball on the 25 yard line has not.

The fair catch spotted the ball at that point.  Now, the 25. 

Gamecock Barbie Heard That Bryan Gilinski Will Be a Really, Really Good Quarterback 

#14 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,023 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:40 PM

Technically agreed, I can't continue this thread (and pic) any longer. 

#15 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:30 AM

They are ruining football with these sissy rule changes.

#16 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,745 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:28 AM

Coach Muschamp has the BEST kick returner in the country in Deebo Samuels. Everytime Deebo touches the football is an opportunity to put points on the scoreboard. This new rule should have very little effect on Coach Muschamp's decision to return the football on kickoffs.

Edited by fanalways, 15 April 2018 - 02:28 AM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#17 Q-ball

Q-ball

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:46 AM

The fair catch spotted the ball at that point.  Now, the 25. 

Now the 25, if it's fielded behind that. If not, it stays where it was fair caught. 

I'm pretty sure we're both on the same page here.

c4c47216876b22c5a11e557747b86090.jpg?qua

#18 2cocky4u

2cocky4u

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:28 AM

Stop that Q-ball, you are cracking me up!

#19 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:42 AM

2Cocky, youcracked me up when you cracked that joke.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users