#1 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

Doesn't matter about age of release or genre. Popular or not.  Just films that appeal to you for whatever reasons.  No judging about your choices. 

Not in any particular order because order doesn't matter.

1)  Shooter

2) Tombstone

3) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

4) The Three Amigos

5) Tropic Thunder

6) Several Others (Including This Is Spinal Tap)

Edited by Spinal Tap, 08 July 2018 - 08:38 PM.

Gamecock Barbie Heard That Something Called Conference Games Are Really, Really Important

#2 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:54 PM

1) A Man For all Seasons (1966) Many Academy Awards - Including Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Screenplay.

If I had to pick my favorite movie of all time, this would be it. The actor in the lead role gave the best singular performance I have ever seen and the entire movie was full of solid actors (Robert Shaw, John Hurt, etc.) and not a sour note from anyone in the film. As close to perfection as I have ever seen. Based on true events concerning King Henry VIII and Sir Thomas More.

2) Where Eagles Dare - WWII flick staring Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. No matter how many times I see it, if I am channel surfing and it is on, I cannot not watch it. It was reported that there were 10,000 rounds of ammo (blanks. of course) used in the film.

Great photography, great music )which hooks from the first opening frame) and a good plot, although it seems simplistic, it works.

3) Big Wednesday - a bomb when it was released long ago, but it has developed a cult following. Starring a young Jan Michael Vincent, a young Willliam Katt, and a young Gary Busey, and others you might recognize. The movie is set to a surfing backdrop, but it is not really a surfing movie, per se. It is the ultimate movie about friendship and how both people and their friendships change over the years.

Highly recommend the movie.  Great movie score too.

4) The WInd and the Lion - A  historical movie based on true events, with an element or two changed for a better story. Starring Sean Connery, Candace Bergen, and Brian Keith as Teddy Roosevelt (his portrayal of TR is worth the price of admission..

5.) Bringing Up Baby - Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn (only one of two roles I like from Kate) . Made in the 1930's and is widely considered the best screwball comedy ever made. Another one that if is on, it is near impossible not to start watching. No need to tell you the plot line, it would spoil the fun and you just need to trust me on this one. Watch it.

Edited by brat, 09 July 2018 - 09:02 PM.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#3 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:09 AM

Brat, we could go to the movies! I love The Wind and the Lion and Bringing Up Baby. Your others also appeal to me.
I’m going for a few recents just to be different. It’s difficult these days because there are no new ideas, just remakes. I did enjoy The Departed and No Country for Old Men. I am also a Star Wars fan. I can just hear the music or see a short clip of the bar scene and I’m happy.
Gary Busey??

#4 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:36 AM

1) Bruce Lee: Enter the Dragon

2) Clint Eastwood: The Pale Rider and Unforgiven

3) Denzel Washington: Remember the Titans and The Equalizer

4) Sylvester Stallone: Rocky #3, #4 and Rambo (First Blood) & #2

5) Robert Redford: Captain America Winter Soldier

6)Wesley Snipes: Blade #1 & #2

Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back is also a classic....(Vader saying...Luke I'm your Father).

Edited by fanalways, 10 July 2018 - 11:43 AM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#5 brat

brat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:37 PM

12th, yes, we could do a moviethon, methinks. I am a fan of ST's #2, #3, & #4 selections, BTW.

I did not list any new ones, because as far as I am concerned, by and large, most of the movies for the last, oh 40 years are generally garbage.

As noted, little originality and when there is, there are endless sequels and rip offs by others doing the same thing. I can't stand CGI. No real plot, poopty actors? CGI everything and distract the audience, let's have massive explosives and what not.

I also am sick and tired of the pointless profanity. Yes, I know that it is common in our society, but that just goes to show you another small facet of the state we are in.

I almost never see anything of recent vintage. I went to see "Dunkirk" (which I was greatly disappointed in...being an old History major) and the last time I was inside a theater before that???? The late 1980's when a girl I was dating insisted we go see "Three Men and a Baby." That is how much I dislike the movies made these days. I liked the two Zorro movies and the National Treasure ones (the 1st one was far better than the second) and I have to struggle to think of anything beyond it. "Open Range" was a very good Western. Hard to find a bad Robert Duvall movie.

Edited by brat, 11 July 2018 - 08:57 PM.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#6 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:47 PM

Every movie is a redo. We try to go on Fridays and we’ve skipped a load of Fridays. I saw Dunkirk and was also disappointed. The one positive was it pointed out an event that the younger generation never learned. We saw a few kids at that movie.

#7 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:06 PM

1) A Man For all Seasons (1966) Many Academy Awards - Including Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Screenplay.

If I had to pick my favorite movie of all time, this would be it. The actor in the lead role gave the best singular performance I have ever seen and the entire movie was full of solid actors (Robert Shaw, John Hurt, etc.) and not a sour note from anyone in the film. As close to perfection as I have ever seen. Based on true events concerning King Henry VIII and Sir Thomas More.

2) Where Eagles Dare - WWII flick staring Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. No matter how many times I see it, if I am channel surfing and it is on, I cannot not watch it. It was reported that there were 10,000 rounds of ammo (blanks. of course) used in the film.

Great photography, great music )which hooks from the first opening frame) and a good plot, although it seems simplistic, it works.

3) Big Wednesday - a bomb when it was released long ago, but it has developed a cult following. Starring a young Jan Michael Vincent, a young Willliam Katt, and a young Gary Busey, and others you might recognize. The movie is set to a surfing backdrop, but it is not really a surfing movie, per se. It is the ultimate movie about friendship and how both people and their friendships change over the years.

Highly recommend the movie.  Great movie score too.

4) The WInd and the Lion - A  historical movie based on true events, with an element or two changed for a better story. Starring Sean Connery, Candace Bergen, and Brian Keith as Teddy Roosevelt (his portrayal of TR is worth the price of admission..

5.) Bringing Up Baby - Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn (only one of two roles I like from Kate) . Made in the 1930's and is widely considered the best screwball comedy ever made. Another one that if is on, it is near impossible not to start watching. No need to tell you the plot line, it would spoil the fun and you just need to trust me on this one. Watch it.

Those are some good choices.  My wife and I are overdue on The Wind and the Lion.  A couple of WWII moves I can't pass on are The Longest Day and Patton.  You have me curious with Big Wednesday.  I will look for streaming on that one.

Gamecock Barbie Heard That Something Called Conference Games Are Really, Really Important

#8 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

1) Bruce Lee: Enter the Dragon

2) Clint Eastwood: The Pale Rider and Unforgiven

3) Denzel Washington: Remember the Titans and The Equalizer

4) Sylvester Stallone: Rocky #3, #4 and Rambo (First Blood) & #2

5) Robert Redford: Captain America Winter Soldier

6)Wesley Snipes: Blade #1 & #2

Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back is also a classic....(Vader saying...Luke I'm your Father).

Is there any movie shown more than Pale Rider?  Still gets lots of airtime.  Unforgiven is very good.  Winter Soldier as well.  I never saw Blade 2.

#9 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:14 PM

Every movie is a redo. We try to go on Fridays and we’ve skipped a load of Fridays. I saw Dunkirk and was also disappointed. The one positive was it pointed out an event that the younger generation never learned. We saw a few kids at that movie.

The thing about Dunkirk was there were a few components that were good, but they whiffed big time on capturing the enormity of the event.  And like said above there were key historical inaccuracies.    

#10 brat

brat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:56 PM

Spinal Tap, Big Wednesday might be my #2 all time favorite. It was written by John Milius as was Wind and The Lion, Jeremiah Johnson, Conan the Barbarian, Dillinger, Red Dawn, and many others, including the great TV movie "Rough Riders' with Tom Berringer as Teddy. Roosevelt.

If Milius is associated with a movie, it is good. He has been generally blacklisted because he is an ultraconservative. He went to school with George Lucas and Spielberg and they both admit he was the most talented of everyone.

I think the movie bombed because on the outside it looked like a surfer movie. I almost refused to see it until my best friend (who has almost identical tastes in everything I do) told me I had to watch it and it really wasn't a surfer movie, though it is the culture behind the movie as a backdrop for the characters.

In fact, the movie is semiautobiographical of Milius. He is even in one of the period photographs shown at the opening of the movie which begins in the early 1960s.

Edited by brat, 11 July 2018 - 09:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users