Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

I don’t know if I’ve ever been more optimistic about...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,087 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:50 PM

...the possibilities on offense that having a healthy Deebo, Shi Smith, and Bryan Edwards as targets out there all at the same time, being targeted by a talented gunslinger behind an SEC caliber line?

Now if our running backs can just get me a little more excited...

#2 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:15 PM

Should things move along as we hope, it will only get better in the passing of time due to team experience in running it, our recruiting getting ever better, and the potential to have the type QB play we have always dreamed about,  '"the why can't we ever get a QB like THAT?' sort.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#3 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:10 AM

I remember aTm too vividly to feel superior before we see the new offense. The defense will be mean and nasty. Let’s see what our new OC and QB coach can do. If Jake has improved with better coaching, he has a wealth of targets. I went back and looked at our offensive performance last season and got a dose of caution. 2019 season looks outrageous, however. Georgia is always loaded and nothing would make me happier than seeing Boom kick Kirby’s butt.

#4 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 2,535 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:29 AM

I feel good about our QB coach. Not to sure about the OC yet but I am pulling for him.

#5 brat

brat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:22 PM

I'm  in the OC camp of it can't be worse and everyone that becomes an OC has to have that first year.

I am doubtful if we will blow up the scoreboard, but I do think we will make a solid improvement to where our D doesn't have to fully shut the other guys down to have a chance to win.

Edited by brat, 09 July 2018 - 12:22 PM.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#6 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:35 PM

With a healthy Rico, I am more optimistic about the RBs than the OL. I am in a "show me" state of mind about the OL based on years of sorriness but believe this line can be good.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#7 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:48 PM

Rico has to have his head in the game.  Like to see a rebound year for Williams - perform up to expectations.  Feel good about AJ.

OL isn't used to true up tempo play.  Their stamina will be tested.

Gamecock Barbie Heard That Bryan Gilinski Will Be a Really, Really Good Quarterback 

#8 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:32 PM

My optimism mirrors yours Doug.  For the first time since Spurrier arrived, I'm very excited about our offense.  I have tempered but positive vibes.

Better coaching and player development support my thesis.  As long as I've been a diehard Gamecock football fan, we've never had an offensive coaching staff this solid from top to bottom.  

Wolf's growing impact will become even more apparent a long the OL, an OL that should be as consistent and disciplined as any we've seen here.  The OL will be a Strength unlike any under Elliott or Hunt.

I don't necessarily expect us to be super explosive on offense but I do believe opponents will be forced to respect it, especially as our HUNH offense evolves and improves.  It's all about keeping opposing defenses on their toes and wearing them out.  Spurrier wouldn't embrace fast paced offense and Roper didn't know how to.  Coach M will be a name in the league sooner than later.  He can coach, he bonds well with players and can recruit like nobody's business.  His ability to revive the offense in the second half against Michigan spoke volumes.  Had we kept Roper, the Outback bowl would've been an ugly loss.

The WR group we have is arguably the best overall we've ever had.  Teams can no longer double team Deebo without leaving the Smiths or Edwards open.  Shi Smith personally excites me as much as Deebo with nice speed and an incredible ability to catch passes.  I don't remember another WR anywhere in the country who went an entire season without dropping a pass, ever!  The boy from Union will become a household name in the league this Fall.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#9 GACock

GACock

Baseball Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,936 posts
  • LocationBehind the right field palmetto at Carolina Stadium

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:22 PM

I guess it boils down to what our OL can do for Bentley and company. Give Bentlley protection and some time, create holes for RBs and control the LOS for four quarters, we could be dangerous.

That said, I've always been impressed with Eric Wolford's work. He is a lemons to lemonade kind of coach. I want to see his best work yet as a Gamecock OL coach for this year's team.

Go Gamecocks!!!

gacock 

#10 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:14 PM

I'm liking a backfield of Dowdle, Turner and Williams. I'm excited to see what they can do behind an SEC caliber line.

#11 jaxbeachcock

jaxbeachcock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Beach, FL

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:40 AM

I think that Jake will probably settle down a little, his overthrows really hurt us last year but as his experience level grows so will his playing skills. Should be a fun 2018.

Go Gamecocks!!!

#12 brat

brat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

In the up tempo offense, there will be more quick passes, not requiring our OL to hold blocks long. The key should be mixing the running and passing up in such a way that the defense doesn't have a clue what is coming next, thus playing back on their heels, as it were, That makes the OL all the more potent. I don't know how quickly we will be able to play at near top proficiency, but I expect us to be in every game and that means anything can happen. 

#13 ViajeroCock

ViajeroCock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • LocationNaples, FL

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:00 AM

All I know is I'm starting to feel optimistic about our offense... and optimistic about our team as a whole... optimism when it comes to our beloved Gamecocks makes me nervous... optimistic and nervous... that's a good thing I guess

#14 Q-ball

Q-ball

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:11 PM

QB play is key in today's college football world. You almost have to have a QB that can do it all. 

i-can-see-the-weekend-now-i-just-dgaf-17

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users