#1 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:25 PM

.During the Ole Miss 4Q we had to switch to man coverage in order to rush the passer. It worked even with 10 still in the game but only for one possession I think after we went to man. Then 10 went down and the sub came in who was not nearly as effective as 10 but the man coverage continued to work and we stayed in their back field. 10 may have beaten us in man had he not gotten hurt, we will never know, but I also think he would never have been hurt had we stayed in the soft zone. Our over all defense was more effective the last 8 minutes of the game and we came from behind and won thanks to the DBs playing man. I hope the defensive brains took note of how effective we were with the DBs in man and with our other guys staying in their backfield, and that was with the 3rd or 4th string safeties on the field. BTW, Mukuamu, 24, looks to me like he could be a starter at corner or safety, 6-4 200 FR from Bossier City, LA who showed he could run with the Ole Miss receivers who are well regarded. The Florida receivers are not as well regarded as he Ole Miss receivers and their QBs are not near as good as 10 was, I think we have a good chance to out score UF.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#2 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:36 PM

Their starting qb only missed one series if I am not mistaken

#3 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:41 PM

He missed one the first  time he went down, but he went down again for the rest of the game on the next possession as I recall.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#4 vaquero59

vaquero59

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationFrom Charleston but living in Hickory, NC

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:44 PM

I prefer man coverage because with zone  the receiver runs to an open area and catches the ball. Then our D runs over and tackles him. That just goes all over me. It's 1st down after 1st down. For the wrong team,.

#5 Traveling Man

Traveling Man

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSpring Hill, SC

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:28 PM

A busted coverage in man to man is 6 points in 85% of the plays.

#6 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,102 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:08 PM

All good, but man coverage when you have the thin depth we do would lead to an exhausted and vulnerable D late in the game.

#7 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:31 PM

Man to man is tiring.  We don't have the luxury of depth.  The Dline has to get pressure on the QB to play it.  We ain't got the hosses.

WM and staff are playing off the receivers early so we can bring it late.  It's asking everyone to step up.

Gamecock Barbie Heard That Bryan Gilinski Will Be a Really, Really Good Quarterback 

#8 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:04 AM

No doubt the coaches are on top of this. It just was good last night or this morning on watching the replay tos ee that w ecan play man and to see us covering the receivers from Ole Miss was thrilling. I think man coverage allows for the DLine to have help in getting a rush on the passer much better than the soft zone does. Another observation that hasn't been made is that the soft zone takes the opponent into the red zone gently and allows us to force more field goals, compared to a blown coverage in man whereby the receiver scores 6 from way out and we don't have a chance to play them in the red zone on a short field and hold them to 3 or eve an occasional zero..

#9 AceBasinCock

AceBasinCock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:05 AM

You are a braver man than me. I can’t even bring myself to watch a replay of our game for fear that it won’t end the same way.

#10 GACock

GACock

Baseball Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,936 posts
  • LocationBehind the right field palmetto at Carolina Stadium

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:36 AM

As long as we can keep it close in the first half, we seem to make the halftime adjustment and the adjustment (going man) seems to work out well for us in the second half. At least it has in the past three games. Especially against Tennessee's flair passes and screens.

Depending upon the Florida QB we will see (Trask is kind've the wild card), I don't think they are going to try to go vertical on us a whole lot; we can't allow them to get comfortable doing so. Playing their receivers in front of us will be as important in this game as it was against Ole Miss.

Go Gamecocks!!!

gacock

#11 Traveling Man

Traveling Man

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSpring Hill, SC

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:52 AM

I think Florida is going to deploy a ground attack, unless of course we show we can stop the run. We should do the same, take what the defense gives us. 

#12 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:10 PM

Once we have the depth a few years down the road, we'll likely see much more man coverage defense.  Mukuamu will start in 2019.  The former FSU commitment, who grew up in SC, and later moved to Bossier City, LA, was a huge win for our staff.  The cover corners we have coming in are going to be fun to watch in the coming years.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#13 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:55 PM

The coverage is no where near as bad as it was before this staff arrived. Before a soft zone coverage was start 10-15 yards away from the receiver, find a spot where the revivers are not and make sure they know you are there and direct them to somewhere you are not. That way they catch the ball and have to run for 5-10 yards before you tackle them. The strategy was to have the QB tire out having to throw that 10 yard pass and the receiver tire out having to run 8-15 yards after every catch. Then hopefully by the 4th quarter they are too tired to keep it up and the score won't be so bad.

In the games that I have watched it seemed that the QBs are not making all that many quick throws. It seems quite often that they sit in the pocket for 3-5 seconds before they throw. Those completions mostly on the DL not getting to the QB in time to force something. The secondary can only cover for some long, they really just try to cover long enough for the DL to do its job and get to the QB. But it is really good to that this staff isn't afraid to press and go to man when they know they can at the end of the game. It keeps the players fresh and I know they have to love the opportunity to man up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users