9 replies to this topic

#1 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 5,876 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:02 PM

Hope everyone has enjoyed seeing him play. He's a special player.

Per his Instagram, he will sit out the Belk Bowl. I don't particularly like the trend of players sitting bowl games, but he stands to make life-changing money at the next level. I can't say that I wouldn't do the same if I were in his shoes.
Posted Image

#2 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,734 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:06 PM

I have been watching ESPN and I too noticed the trend of the top players sitting out their bowl games. More opportunity for the younger players to play and for Deebo to get ready for the NFL Draft.

Edited by fanalways, 05 December 2018 - 07:46 PM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#3 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:40 PM

Not surprised given his injury history. I wonder if the NCAA could come out and offer all of the players a free insurance policy if they play. The better players get a better policy. They have the money and the more of them that play the better the rating will be which mean more money. They could even get the sponsors to foot some of the bill. It would at least be putting some that crazy money they get back to the players that really could use it. As far as Debo, he did what he signed up to do, play hard and give the fans and the university someone to be proud of. Wish him well in the NFL.

#4 LexCock

LexCock

Frank McGuire BB School Alumnus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:18 PM

Supposedly they offer insurance policies for players if Deebo’s Caliber. Didn’t Marcus and Clowney reportedly have policies against career-ending injuries?

"Free Throw Shooting Champion"

#5 Traveling Man

Traveling Man

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationSpring Hill, SC

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:03 AM

Other than the four teams in the playoffs, these bowl games offer very little incentive for a senior with an NFL future to play for. Debo has to do what is right for him and his family. The NCAA and the networks have been lining their pockets for going on five years off the blood, sweat, and tears shed by Mr. Samuel. Debo Samuel blessed Gamecock nation with one of the most explosive players in our history; if he chooses to sit out we have to accept his decision and thank him for what he's done. I wish him well at the next level, he will always be a Gamecock.

#6 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 2,606 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:28 AM

I did enjoy watching you play for the University of South Carolina. I guess I will not see you again. Good luck Mr. Deebo.

Next man up !!

#7 Taragirl87x

Taragirl87x

Lady Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  • Location8 miles from Clemson in a town called Seneca so feel my pain lol

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:52 AM

I understand his decision but it would sure be nice to see him play one last time

#8 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:44 AM

Deebo has been at Carolina 6 years. I respect his decision because his one knock is injuries. He also holds a degree. I also know Donell Stanley plans to decide after the bowl. He is a five year player here and has been injured. Others around the conference are doing the same. I hope Bryan Edwards returns because he is a junior. I believe he can improve his draft status. To me, that is a different situation. I hope college football can avoid the one and done.
I like that Will sits down with his players after the regular season to talk about this. He seemed to be pleased for Deebo. I also appreciate that he does not go ‘Dabo’ on kids that have been here and graduated. His tactics are for personal gain and not the student athlete.

#9 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:24 PM

I think he is doing the right thing and amglad that one of our other young stars will be featured. The Gamecock cupboard is filled with talent at WR even with Deebo sitting out and Or'tre shirting after surgery. We will drive UVA mad trying to cover Bryan, Shi, Randrequs, Josh and the others plus the RBs and the TEs. 

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#10 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:25 PM

If Deebo had only been here 3 seasons and had rarely fought injuries, I'd feel differently, but in his case he's doing the most logical thing.  I wish him the best of luck.

Players that do so after 3 seasons are doing what's best for them but an argument could be made that they owe the university and fanbase 1 more game.  If you're in your 4th, especially 5th season, and you've given the team 4 years, it's more understandable. 

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users