13 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,351 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:23 AM

Another big win, this time over the 14th ranked team in the country! Unexpected hero in Kotsar with 25 points, 9 rebounds 2 assists, and a block.

They’re putting it together, folks! 2-0 in the SEC. Go Cocks!

#2 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 2,708 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:28 AM

Coach Martin has done a H e l l of a job coaching this young mixed team and bringing them to the same spot on the court. AND I mean one H e l l of a job. A dang fine game tonight. This team is coming together.

WE are so lucky to have him at South Carolina. Anyone who doesn't admit that is just not manning up.

#3 Kiwicock

Kiwicock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationAiken

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:44 AM

Nice win!!!!!

#4 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:07 AM

I'm glad my previously negative comments have spurred the team to play much better. It's either that or I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I am not giving odds on your choices.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#5 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,351 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:34 AM

I'm glad my previously negative comments have spurred the team to play much better. It's either that or I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I am not giving odds on your choices.

Your salty observations obviously made the team thirsty for wins. 😉

#6 2cocky4u

2cocky4u

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:12 AM

Hope this continues! 

#7 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 5,978 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:41 AM

Coach Martin has done a H e l l of a job coaching this young mixed team and bringing them to the same spot on the court. AND I mean one H e l l of a job. A dang fine game tonight. This team is coming together.

WE are so lucky to have him at South Carolina. Anyone who doesn't admit that is just not manning up.

^This.  Martin is the best Xs and Os coach that we've had since the Irishman - hands down.  

Posted Image

#8 SteelGamecock

SteelGamecock

Steve Spurrier's Caddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • LocationWalking with the Ball Coach

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:54 PM

LOL...  John Madden was right... "Winning is the great deodorant"

“Fortunately I always keep a spare in my locker.”

#9 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,351 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

LOL... John Madden was right... "Winning is the great deodorant"

Hasn’t heard that quote. Good one. Things are smelling much sweeter between Assembly and Huger these days.

#10 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:20 PM

I watched most of last nights game and came away highly impressed.  This was the best game we've played from start to finish all season.  It was also our first win over a Top 15 team dating back to February of 2018 when we upset Auburn.  The very young team has appeared to have turned a corner at a very crucial time.

Like brat, I've had my share of criticisms about this years team.  I am more than happy to eat crow :)   I've always liked Frank and believe he's a solid coach.  My complaints lie more in with recruiting and attrition, which also seem to be improving with less player turnover.  If he can continue this trend, the future will be bright.  He develops players as good as any coach out there.

I've also been very impressed with Gravett's improvement versus last year and Kotsar played the best game of his career thus far.  The young players show as much potential as a group as any I've seen in some time.  If we can get Justin Manaya back soon, it should be another shot in arm.

Lastly, the announcers on ESPNU were very complimentary of us last night, mentioning injuries impact and the fact they believed we were better than our record indicated.  With a strength of schedule of 37, an above average season in league play could get us into the postseason.  We're now back to .500(7-7).

My only complaint, also pointed out by the announcers, involves Chris Silva.  Every time he as much as blows on an opposing player the refs blow the whistle.  On the other hand, if 2 opposing players smother and slap Silva not a whistle is heard.  There were at least 2-3 terrible no calls against Chris.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#11 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:27 PM

:dancincocky: Great win!!! This team is EXCITING to watch!!! :)

Edited by fanalways, 10 January 2019 - 01:13 AM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#12 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

7 more wins and we are no worse than 9-9 in conference! But really that is really surprising. I hope they can keep it up.

#13 SCNitehawk2

SCNitehawk2

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationGamecock Nation, USA

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

After the win Tuesday night our RPI jumped 30 places to 137. We have a long way to go, but we are for the monet on the right path.

#14 jaxbeachcock

jaxbeachcock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Beach, FL

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:25 PM

7 more wins and we are no worse than 9-9 in conference! But really that is really surprising. I hope they can keep it up.

16 more wins and we are 18-0 in conference play!!!

Go Gamecocks!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users