14 replies to this topic

#1 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 6,122 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:05 PM

South Carolina has one new coach, and another who is getting a significant raise. With Board of Trustees approval on Wednesday, fourth-year head coach Will Muschamp has hired former Miami offensive coordinator Thomas Brown to a one-year contract.

Offensive line coach Eric Wolford, entering his third year with the program, is now on a three-year deal with the school.

https://247sports.co...aise-127577582/
Posted Image

#2 53fan

53fan

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationRock Hill

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:33 PM

Is a one year deal pretty standard for new hires?

#3 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 6,122 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

Is a one year deal pretty standard for new hires?

Pretty much.  

Posted Image

#4 jaxbeachcock

jaxbeachcock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Beach, FL

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:59 PM

Brown is an interesting hire, why was Miami so quick to get rid of him. Maybe he should have stayed a running backs coach? Even the best running back coach in the world won't look good without the proper linemen or play calling, JMHO.

Go Gamecocks!!!

#5 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 6,122 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:08 PM

Who said Miami wanted to get rid of him? With Richt retiring he may not have a position on the new staff. Also at Miami, he was the OC in title only. Richt called the plays.

This is more about getting a good recruier to replace Pat Washington. He was a good coach in teaching the game, but wasn't a great recruiter.
Posted Image

#6 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

I am glad Wolford will be here to continue to upgrade our offensive line.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#7 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,023 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:37 PM

Brown is an interesting hire, why was Miami so quick to get rid of him.

Go Gamecocks!!!

He may have been upset with the way things went down and decided that he needed to be somewhere else. He made a phone call or two and after receiving the answers he wanted, got out of there.........maybe.

#8 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,023 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:41 PM

i'm still not completely sold on Wolford. When I seen our line blocking the way I see other teams blocking, then I will feel better about him.

The fact that the taters Oline does a great job of blocking from the snap of the ball UNTIL the whistle sounds is one of the reason they win by such large margins. Both pass and run blocking. Their run blocking is as good as I have seen any team do.

#9 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:15 AM

The run blocking was questionable this year but the pass blocking was really good. Please don't forget how bad it was for years here. Wolford may not be the best but he is better than we have had in a long time. I still remember the year that our OL was being touted as one of the best in the country and that whole year it was actually a liability all year.

#10 jaxbeachcock

jaxbeachcock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Beach, FL

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:26 AM

Who said Miami wanted to get rid of him? With Richt retiring he may not have a position on the new staff. Also at Miami, he was the OC in title only. Richt called the plays.

This is more about getting a good recruier to replace Pat Washington. He was a good coach in teaching the game, but wasn't a great recruiter.

I may be wrong and I've been wrong before, but the new Miami coach, Manny Diaz, fired the entire offensive staff, all of them.

Go Gamecocks!!!

#11 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 6,122 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:38 AM

Yeah, maybe. Forgot that Diaz was already hired. Not unusual though for a new coach to clean house.
Posted Image

#12 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:05 AM

I am on Wolford's side. He is making progress and is getting more players with which he will continue to work towards a an annual OL comprised of 4th and 5th year men who can handle the job, run or pass. I am also excited about Thomas Brown coming here.

Edited by Cockyprince, 10 January 2019 - 03:06 AM.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#13 53fan

53fan

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationRock Hill

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:57 PM

2 very good videos of Thomas Brown on Youtube at practice in Miami...worth a look 

#14 ViajeroCock

ViajeroCock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • LocationNaples, FL

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

I’ve seen dramatic improvement in our O line since Wolf came back to Carolina. What was once a major weaknesses no longer is. At least not this past season IMHO. I have no issues with Wolf

#15 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:41 AM

The run blocking was questionable this year but the pass blocking was really good. Please don't forget how bad it was for years here. Wolford may not be the best but he is better than we have had in a long time. I still remember the year that our OL was being touted as one of the best in the country and that whole year it was actually a liability all year.

We've had many years in the past where our OL was touted to be a strength during the preseason and rarely came to fruition.  As a child, I used to ask my dad why our OL looked so poor at times watching games in the 80s.  I recognized it even at a young age.

I believe the Thomas hire was a homerun hire.  He improves coaching continuity immediately and was a great RB, as a teammate of McClendon. 

We definitely have Georgia on our mind with Muschamp and staff :) 

I didn't realize these interesting stats:

-Thomas Brown is the 6th leading rusher in regards to carries, all time at Georgia.  He rushed 529 times between 2004-2007.

-Thomas also holds the #8 spot for most career rushing yards at 2,646.  That's darn impressive considering the UGA history of great RB. 

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users