Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Trevor Lawrence to XFL after 2019 season?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:11 PM

XFL not limiting itself to NFL's draft eligibility rules as young stars rise in college football

“...However, with the emergence of the XFL, Lawrence could opt to leave the Tigers after the 2019 season and join the XFL for the start of the 2020 season. A high-profile quarterback would draw significant interest to the upstart league,”

https://www.foxnews....ollege-football

#2 AceBasinCock

AceBasinCock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:51 PM

If this were to happen, and that is a huge IF, and then I predict the death of college football as we know it. Between players sitting out of bowl games and star players being able to leave whenever they want, the level of competition in college will drop tremendously and interest in bowl games will fall off as well.

#3 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:18 PM

The XFL won't last long, like all the others. They try to play football at the same time and the people would rather watch the NFL. Play at a different time of the year and most people do not want to watch football all year long. The lone exception to the rule is the old AFL. It had major backers. rich owners, one of the only three available networks to broadcast a weekly game or two, and their teams were located in many major cities across the nation that did not have one in the NFL. There were few enough NFL teams , so it meant there was enough talent still to put a decent team on the field for the AFL. Those circumstances were unique and are not able to be duplicated.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#4 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:42 PM

History is repeating itself. The old USFL did the same allowing younger players play in their new league and was able to sign then the biggest name in college football back in the early 1980's RB Hershel Walker.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#5 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:17 AM

They could shake things up for a couple of years but then it fade out just as others have said. The only way one of these leagues will survive is if the NFL partners with them to make them a development league.

#6 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,181 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:27 AM

The XFL would really shake things up if they allow players to play directly from high school, like major league baseball. They would destroy the NFL, creating a bidding war for the top high school talent. Especially because of the violence in football where one hit could end a player's career, the top players definitely would not wait for three year after high school to play in the NFL, if they could make millions of dollars playing pro football directly after high school.

Edited by fanalways, 10 January 2019 - 01:33 AM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#7 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:29 PM

The Wall St Journal shook things up yesterday with their story:

Headline: Why Trevor Lawrence Should Sit Out the Next Two Years

Clemson’s freshman quarterback isn’t eligible for the NFL draft until 2021, but he could take a growing trend to a radical extreme

#8 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

And then there’s this:

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence is ready for the NFL. But the NFL won’t let him play.

Lawrence, the true freshman who led Clemson to a dominating national championship victory over Alabama on Monday night, is absolutely good enough that he would get drafted this year if he were allowed to enter the 2019 NFL draft. The 6-foot-5, 205-pound Lawrence put up comparable numbers in Clemson’s offense to those put up by Deshaun Watson, who was good enough at Clemson that he was the 12th overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft and has played very well for two years with the Texans.

Unfortunately for the 19-year-old Lawrence, the league’s rules require players to be three years out of high school before they can turn pro.

That means Lawrence has to spend two more years not earning paychecks. Two more years getting sacked by 300-pound defensive linemen, knowing that every single hit he takes could affect his future ability to play pro football and cost him millions of dollars.

If Lawrence doesn’t want to risk an injury before earning his NFL millions, his only other option would be to sit out for two years, which would mean arriving in the NFL extremely rusty. It’s not a realistic option for him. In most fields, a young adult who’s good enough to do the job is free to shop his services to businesses willing to employ him. In his chosen field, the only choice is to play for free in the NCAA for three years before playing for the NFL team that drafts him.

That’s a raw deal for a great player.

http://profootballta...ars-at-clemson/

#9 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,023 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

If Bama had shown up mentally ready to play, I don't think we would be having this discussion. jmo

I imagine he would have looked a lot different on his back or being hurried on every other play but who knows for sure.

And what is really weird, is that because Bama didn't show up, people really think they are the best team in the nation. Hahahahaha

They deserve their trophy because they came to play and Bama would have to had brought their A-game to beat them. To bad all we saw was their C-game.

Again this is....jmo

#10 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

We have another thread somewhere on here with musings about what the future may hold for football. I tried to think it out but missed the idea of sitting two years instead of a bowl game. Rather than sitting ot two years more likely is a challenge to the rule since it has been exposed in the WSJ. If many players make a Herschel move to the XFL and someone were to challenge the rule, and a Lawrence type were to sit out a year or two years, college football would disintegrate. All three could happen simultaneously because of $$$$$$$. These type events would make the idea of copying Clemson or Alabama moot. 

Edited by Cockyprince, 10 January 2019 - 04:01 PM.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#11 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,474 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:41 PM

Trevor will drink Dado juice and decide to play all four years. He is full of Dabo dust right now. I hope he leaves after his junior year. He’s like Zion. It was fun to see Zion do his 360 dunk against Clemson.

#12 Q-ball

Q-ball

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:27 PM

My guess is it's 50/50 whether or not he plays a 4th season.ff1e09d0d02743056ecfe73268895fe7.jpg?qua

#13 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:05 AM

If Trevor can snag the Heisman within the next 2 years, a big possibility assuming he stays healthy, I seriously doubt that he'll come back for his senior season.  At that point he'll have nothing left to prove.  He's already set a record for the 2nd freshman ever to lead a team to a NC. 

Like it or not he's part of the current lovefest for all things Clemson football, and will be heavily favored to win the Heisman, much like Tua was coming into the 2018 season.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#14 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,474 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:13 AM

Trevor Lawrence will be a Heisman candidate next season. We will have to deal with him for two more years, then he leaves. As much as I hate saying it, he’s the best freshman I recall. He does have ice in his veins. I am sure it has been discussed that Trevor is planning to leave after his junior year like Deshaun.
Dabo revealed that Clemson has been practicing for Alabama since they lost to them before. They spent only one afternoon on every other game they have faced, using all other time on Bama. Perhaps that is how our two SEC offenses ran up high yardage against them.
Like Bad said, Bama did not show up. Post season play had South Carolina, Georgia and Bama all not coming to their games.

#15 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

I do think it is funny how so many people just started the Trevor will win the Heisman campaign next year and completely dismiss Tua who by the way was the runner up and was the front runner all year. Also don't forget that Trevor will split votes with his RB who is also being touted as a Heisman frontrunner and that Alabama brings back most of their WR and they have RBs in the barn to step up. Also Tua is only a sophomore that didn't start until this year so I don't see why he couldn't be better next year too.  I am curious about how much better can he be? I've seen this all the time at all levels where someone is awesome at the start of their career and everyone projects them to improve so much but they don't simply because someone can only be so good it is just that they were so much better earlier than the normal person. Sort of like Mahomes, how much better can he be as he is just starting his career? Don't get me wrong Trevor might end up being one of the best college QBs of all time and right now he is one of the top in the country but it is not just a given that he will win it next year just because. And just like others have said, we sadly have to deal with it for the next two years.

#16 Taragirl87x

Taragirl87x

Lady Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Location8 miles from Clemson in a town called Seneca so feel my pain lol

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:08 PM

Don’t forget we have a QB coming in that could be just as good. We just have to hope he gets some playing time his first year.

#17 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,474 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:25 AM

Trevor has the measurables. Height, hand size, etc. I have no idea which kid is best, but it’s just our luck it will be Trevor just to irk us! Ryan has some good measurables. He is tall and hands are large and his arm is a cannon.

#18 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:33 PM

Clemsuk will pay more and keep him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users