10 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,634 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:50 PM

Javon Charleston has entered the NCAA transfer portal. He is the second Gamecock player to do so, along with Shameik Blackshear, who previously announced his intention to leave the program.

Blackshear wasn’t a huge surprise. Charleston is. He was a reserve defensive back in 2018, but was expected to be a starter or at least significant contributor in 2019. He can still return to the program, but it's clear he is looking elsewhere.

#2 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:15 PM

Charleston reminds me of Scarnecchia; it seems like he's been here forever.  I wish him the best wherever he plays.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#3 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:55 AM

Might have seen that there are a lot of guys at his position and wants to play rather than possibly riding the bench. He played hard, just wish his off the field stuff had not happened. I was not there so I can't pretend to know what happened but it was not good. Hope he learned from it and has success where ever he goes.

#4 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:11 PM

I remember Javon mostly from his first spring game. He looked like a promising WR. Bmac threw him some balls I believe it was Bmac not sure. Later he moved over to safety and looked good there too but was injured. Wherever he goes I expect him to excel eventually and wish him the best.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#5 Taragirl87x

Taragirl87x

Lady Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Location8 miles from Clemson in a town called Seneca so feel my pain lol

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

Scar should have transferred, he might be headed to the NFL if he had.

#6 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

He says: "Compliance mis-classified me and surprisingly realized it at the end of my season(career) ... My only way to play my last year I am forced to transfer"

#7 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:24 PM

He says: "Compliance mis-classified me and surprisingly realized it at the end of my season(career) ... My only way to play my last year I am forced to transfer"

Who runs compliance? This is unfair.

#8 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

Sad epitaph to his career here.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#9 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,634 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

South Carolina sent out a statement that adds a bit of clarity to the situation. They wrote:
Javon Charleston was enrolled as a full-time student at another school in 2014 initiating his five-year clock, which allows a student-athlete five calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. He enrolled at the University of South Carolina prior to the start of the 2015 season. Based on the five-year clock, his Division I eligibility concluded at the end of the 2018 season. The student-athlete did not lose any eligibility due to any NCAA rules interpretations by the University of South Carolina. Javon graduated the University of South Carolina in May of 2018 and remained on scholarship through the fall of 2018. He has entered his name in the transfer portal and is eligible to play one more season at any non-Division I school.

#10 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

Same ol, same ol from the compliance office. Stuff like this shouldn't happen.
Posted Image

#11 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:52 PM

Seems like he should have told or he should have asked. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users