14 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:53 AM

Bama board lists seven potential offensive coordinator candidates. Number seven is...

“Dan Werner -- South Carolina quarterbacks coach

Werner, like Freeze, was on the Ole Miss teams that defeated Alabama in 2014 and 2015, and the former Rebel play-caller spent 2017 season as an offensive analyst for the Crimson Tide before agreeing to coach quarterbacks for Will Muschamp at South Carolina. He also has experience in the booth having served as the offensive coordinator at both Miami and Louisiana Tech.”

#2 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

Hard to keep a good coach when Bama is looking but there are a lot of people out there, hopefully they will find someone else.

#3 jaxbeachcock

jaxbeachcock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Beach, FL

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

Bama board lists seven potential offensive coordinator candidates. Number seven is...

“Dan Werner -- South Carolina quarterbacks coach

Werner, like Freeze, was on the Ole Miss teams that defeated Alabama in 2014 and 2015, and the former Rebel play-caller spent 2017 season as an offensive analyst for the Crimson Tide before agreeing to coach quarterbacks for Will Muschamp at South Carolina. He also has experience in the booth having served as the offensive coordinator at both Miami and Louisiana Tech.”

Not trying to stir the pot Doug but what shows that Werner was a good qb coach? I think Jake took a step back this year, as some players do. We haven't seen any, and I mean any other qb's play except the game that Scar won. I'm still hoping that Conner will come back and coach our qb's, JMHO

Go Gamecocks!!!

#4 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,023 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:41 PM

JMO but Jake seem to play better "after" McClendon came out of the booth and called plays from the sidelines. The whole offense took off at that point.

#5 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:27 PM

Jax - the weatherman does the best he can with the mercury he’s given. Werner’s resume as a whole is darn impressive. Ask Nick Saban - who he beat while QB coach at Ole Miss.

#6 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,023 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

Werner was, is, and I hope continues to be a big part of our offense. I have actually wondered if he was the reason McClendon came out of the booth.

#7 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:30 PM

Maybe we ought to let Werner call some plays given our inability to score when inside the 10.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#8 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,474 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:31 PM

He’s not leaving Jake, Ryan, Dak and Luke. His family is settled in and he does not want to move his son. I think he actually improved Jake after his rough start. I have to think we pay Werner to stay a while but it’s interesting to see everybody putting his name on their list.
The indoor practice facility is currently featuring Ryan throwing to Sevelle. Cool.

#9 ViajeroCock

ViajeroCock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • LocationNaples, FL

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:37 PM

I’m not sure why everyone is so critical of Jake. I personally thought he improved drastically this year (granted after a slow start and some questionable games mixed in like the bowl game). He definitely played better after Scar showed he wasn’t the only viable option at QB. He played this year like I thought he would have played during his SOPHOMORE year. Didn’t show much development in his 2nd year at all to me. I think Werner is helping our offense overall and our QB’s in particular. I hope he stays so the flashes we saw on O this year can become the norm going forward

#10 53fan

53fan

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationRock Hill

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:01 PM

I may be the only one but I think Jake's performance against Clemson was pretty good. I have no idea how much of a role that Werner played in that but I'm hoping he at least stays another year or two.

#11 BionicCock

BionicCock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

Losing to Virginia and never get any TD's, all of the coaches and some players should be tossed out the door! Every year it takes several  teams beat us for several games and then we look better and then poof!

Get a few of our people with deep pockets put up a 10 million dollars prize to a coach to get this team that can get great! The coaches aren't doing it!

Children are Flowers that Bloom in the Heart!

#12 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:23 PM

Jake's deep ball was much improved. I didn't watch all of the games but the ones that I did it seemed that most of his deep balls were where they needed to be. To start the year he had some trouble getting going but the second half he was really good and the Clemson game was an all time great performance by any QB our program has had. The bowl game stunk really big but sometimes that just happens, all teams just lose it at some point in time.

#13 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:28 PM

Looks like Bama may have their OC in Sarkisian.

#14 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

Jake seemed to struggle early on but things turned around in the 2nd half of the A&M game.  Perhaps it was BM coming down to the field, as some have suggested.  Regardless, he definitely showed vast improvement this season, and then the Belk Bowl was played.  I'm still scratching my head about that game.  I'm not sure what happened to Jake...

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#15 Traveling Man

Traveling Man

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSpring Hill, SC

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

I hope all of our current coaches stay intact, especially Dan Werner. I am optimistic to see what Brown can do with our stable of Running Backs, I say we take a pretty nice step this year and sign a capable back in next years class.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users