6 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,789 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:23 PM

"Signing on with a university, if you’re a student-athlete, should not be [a] moratorium on your rights as an individual. This is the time and the moment to be able to push back and defend the rights of these young adults," Walker told the News & Observer.

A bill will be introduced on Thursday of this week by Rep. Mark Walker of North Carolina in the US House of Representatives that would allow college athletes to receive compensation in much the same way Olympic athletes are allowed, through endorsement deals. The early take on this legislation is that it may have broad support in the House.
It has always been odd that Olympic athletes have been allowed to receive large cash sums yet be considered amateurs. In 2016, a University of Texas swimmer received a $740,000 bonus from the country of Singapore, as their first Olympic gold medalist - permissible under NCAA rules, which are different for Olympic athletes.
Why should not college athletes be allowed to receive sponsor money in exchange for use of their name, image, and likeness? There is now actually shorthand for this term “NIL” these days. Why are there multiple definitions of amateurism within the NCAA’s own rules?
But if Walker’s bill becomes law, and we’re a long way from that, it will loosen the grip the NCAA has over athletes further, diminishing their power to define the rules of amateurism.

https://www.si.com/c...ced-mark-walker

#2 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:44 PM

I am getting closer and closer toward ceasing all sports from my viewing interest. The NCAA and pro sports are becoming essentially the same and I already greatly dislike pro sports. When the pros are more important than the coaches, owners, and teams (which they are really not) in the eyes of the masses, there is the loss of normalcy and reality. The money being made by all parties are obscene and no one is worth such amounts. It ain't the team owner paying it out, it is via our own wallets through various products we buy that continue to climb in cost and more for us to watch them remotely or actively, being there, if we choose. That is bad enough, but to be insulted by prima donnas who want everything titled in their favor as if they are doing us a great service makes it almost unbearable.

If the chance to get a real education in life, room and board, travel opportunities, world class coaching and medical care, and other side benefits is not enough of a trade off for four or five years whether or not you make the pros, then stay out of college. You do not belong there nor should you foster the farce or being a true "student-athlete."

Edited by brat, 13 March 2019 - 12:47 AM.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#3 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,789 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:14 PM

What he said.

#4 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:49 PM

Agree with Brat. They need a viable minor league for all sports to weed out those that have no interest in college. The universities also need to start being serious about not just trying to make as much money as possible, that just what makes the problem worse. If a university is making millions and paying coaches millions it makes it really hypocritical for these same groups to say the kids who play the games should get nothing. Balance is needed all around.

#5 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

Things like 1 and done in basketball and crap like this are what's slowly ruining college athletics.  Blatant NCAA bias towards certain teams doesn't help either.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#6 BionicCock

BionicCock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:47 PM

It's a guy from North Carolina doing this. Thats what UNC was doing for years! I'm out of athletics unless it's in High School. SCREW NCAA! $$$$$ always screwing the games. This will get idiots that can play ball but can't read! No, that has done that at UNC! :angry:

Children are Flowers that Bloom in the Heart!

#7 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:51 PM

Kids are going to be chasing endorsements instead of opening textbooks and acting out just like they do in the pros. The crazier you are, in theory, the more media attention you get and the bigger the endorsement. The less kids spend time in college doing academia, the more cheating will be required to keep them eligible, more phantom classes, basket weaving, and the like.

If this happens I sincerely hope the fans stay away (don't think about taking your kids or grandkids to a game) and stop donations to the school until the problem is addressed in a real way. Needs to be done nationwide. Turn the clock back to doing it the way it once was, "laundry money", freshmen ineligible to play (that, alone, would keep many of the nut jobs out and others who do not want to go to college in the first place), and not much more.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users