7 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:46 AM

A large-scale scheme to cheat on college entrance exams has been busted by the FBI and federal prosecutors in Boston, according to court documents unsealed Tuesday.
The alleged scheme focused on getting students admitted to elite universities as recruited athletes, regardless of their athletic abilities, and helping potential students cheat on their college exams, according to the indictment.
The plot involved students who attended or were seeking to attend Georgetown University, Stanford University, UCLA, the University of San Diego, USC, University of Texas, Wake Forest, and Yale, according to federal prosecutors.
There's no indication that the schools were involved in any of the wrong-doing.
In all, 12 people, some of them college coaches, have been indicted in the scheme.
https://www.nbcnews....sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

#2 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 2,805 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:17 AM

IMG Academy is also involved in helping to get kids into school.

https://www.heraldtr...bribery-scandal

#3 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:55 PM

How many "student-athletes" did he help?

Let's hope they find a link from him to Clempson (or any other guilty school) with their recent recruiting success there at IMG so this can somehow expose some of the mounds of dirt they have swept under the rug with Dabo and company.

Ostarine and this might rub off some of the false sheen from them to the point where even Kirk Herbstreit will have to pause in his slobberknockery (I couldn't use the real word that belongs here) for the school, sons or no sons there. 

Edited by brat, 13 March 2019 - 12:57 PM.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#4 CTW0302

CTW0302

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

I think the federal prosecutors are playing a little fast and loose with the term "elite" with some of those schools.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

#5 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:02 PM

The real problem is with the parents who somehow validate themselves based upon how their kids do - in sports, in school, in the real world.

#6 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,525 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

NCAA?

The scam also allegedly faked athletic profiles - creating the perception that certain students were strong athletes - and bribed college coaches.

"In return for bribes these coaches agreed to pretend that certain applicants were recruited, competitive athletes when in fact the applicants were not," Lelling said.

The NCAA says it will look into the allegations.

Authorities say they believe that other parents were involved and say the investigation will continue.

The real victims in this case? The hard-working high school students who didn't get admitted to the college of their choice because of this scam that ensured a place for those parents could buy access.

#7 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:41 PM

Too bad the Feds have not investigated the NCAA, itself.

Anyone think high up people there (and some lower level NCAA Investigators) have not gotten some nice perks, money, etc. for not investigating or providing false information???

One of the things many think happened with UNC is that several UNC people are inside the Federal government and protected them, if not downright played a part of all the dirty dealings involving that diploma mill circus for decades.

If true, the Feds would never look into the NCAA in fear of people talking and proving correct how the sausage is made.

I am almost to the point that all sports should be shut down in colleges, nationwide. Educate only and if the kids want physical education or to play sports in their spare time, it is all on them, not the school.

I wonder if they have sports in Heaven? You can't cheat up there.

Edited by brat, 13 March 2019 - 09:47 PM.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#8 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:37 AM

My kids could have gone to Yale or Harvard if my name was Felicity Huffman. I’d use Monopoly money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users