#1 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 2,989 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:14 AM

Leave.

I'm thinking that he doesn't. May just be wishful thinking.

#2 2cocky4u

2cocky4u

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:02 AM

Frank is a good man and a great coach but some other coach duplicating Frank's typical success in a basketball season should not be that hard to do.

We do realize that Frank in either in the top 25 or 20 of highest paid coaches in the ncaa! I am not sure we are getting the results that we are paying for, but that is just my opinion.

Edited by 2cocky4u, 12 April 2019 - 10:05 AM.

#3 SCNitehawk2

SCNitehawk2

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationGamecock Nation, USA

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:39 AM

It is hard for me to imagine a Power Five coach voluntarily giving up his job to go to a non-Power Five school.

Edited by SCNitehawk2, 12 April 2019 - 10:40 AM.

#4 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 6,105 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

It is hard for me to imagine a Power Five coach voluntarily giving up his job to go to a non-Power Five school.

Cincinnati has been to the tournament the last 9 years and has a great basketball tradition.  That said, he'd likely have to take a cut in salary, as the previous Cincinnati coach made $2.2 million.  From all that I've read, Frank likes it at Carolina, but he has to be frustrated with the fan/student support at times and the fact that the basketball team isn't promoted like it should be.

Posted Image

#5 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:23 AM

I hope Coach Martin doesn't leave but if he does I hope Coach Tanner will go HARD after former Gamecock player Mike Boynton (Oklahoma State head coach) or Avery Johnson (former Alabama head basketball coach).  Avery Johnson's situation is similar to Coach Muschamp who coached at Florida or Bruce Pearl who use to be at Tennessee and is now coaching at Auburn. Muschamp and Bruce Pearl moved around in the same conference. Coach Tanner hiring Avery Johnson would be a similar move. This is a GREAT job for a coach that can recruit at a high level and keep the top instate players like Zion Williamson (Duke), Ja Morant (Murray State), and Aaron Nesmith (Vandy) home playing for the Gamecocks. The Lady Gamecocks had a similar problem of signing the top instate players like A'ja Wilson and Alaina Coates before hiring Coach Staley. Avery Johnson is a great recruiter with NBA experience and is currently available if he hasn't taken another job yet. We should know something very soon whether Coach Martin stays or leave, the uncertainty is not good for recruiting.

Edited by fanalways, 12 April 2019 - 12:12 PM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#6 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:01 PM

Here are my thoughts. Have we got leverage to keep Martin here? Unless we think we can get the reincarnation of Frank McGuire, I would just as soon keep him and be mediocre as have to get in a rat race and still be mediocre. Another thought I had on this, is Martin still on a short leash behavior wise or is he truly a changed man? If he still wants to be somewhere where he can cuss everybody out publicly, If he still wants to be like he was when he came here, maybe we ought to help Cincinnati to take him.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#7 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:43 PM

I want to win and I want a coach that doesn't cheat (recruiting) to do it. That might not be possible here or anywhere these days (especially in basketball).

Forced to choose between having a program that is honest or a dirty one that "wins" (I don't consider cheating to win really winning), give me the clean program and coach and we'll do the best we can.

Oh, I also want us and other honest coach/program to publicly call out other programs and coaches who are dirty, time after time, and go after the NCAA for their selective enforcement and favorite untouchable programs.

Edited by brat, 12 April 2019 - 03:50 PM.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#8 RickMiller

RickMiller

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • LocationSalem SC

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:13 PM

It is being circulated now that Frank Martin has no intention of even meeting with them.

South Carolina coach Frank Martin tells @Stadium he will not meet with Cincinnati about opening: “I thought about it, because of Huggs and my time there, but I love my boss and South Carolina — so I have decided not to meet with them.”

#9 2cocky4u

2cocky4u

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:32 PM

I would think making over 600k+ more than the Cincy coach might sway some of his decision.

#10 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 2,989 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 13 April 2019 - 01:18 AM

I think he is building something here that hasn't been done in ages and he wants to finish it. He is getting things set up to start a run like we have't seen here.

#11 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 13 April 2019 - 01:37 AM

I’m so glad Frank is staying. Next year’s team has talent. The kids here would scatter and the good recruits would not show if he left. Add that to Ray having to hire a coach for a school that has had spotty to rare success. I can imagine the uneasiness of this fan base. It would not be pleasant.

#12 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 2,989 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 13 April 2019 - 01:54 AM

I’m so glad Frank is staying. Next year’s team has talent. The kids here would scatter and the good recruits would not show if he left. Add that to Ray having to hire a coach for a school that has had spotty to rare success. I can imagine the uneasiness of this fan base. It would not be pleasant.

Yes we need Frank. He doesn't need us.

#13 Homer

Homer

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

Next season is huge for both Basketball teams. They both should have talent to spare and should get to the tournament. Losing coach Martin would have been a blow to that chance so I am glad to here he isn't even considering the job. 

#14 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:12 PM

To begin with, coach Martin inherited a dumpster fire.  It's taken a bit longer than most of us had hoped but he's has finally built a program with stability and has recruiting trending upwards.  With that in mind, I would hate for him to leave, especially with the base of talent that he's amassed, as well as a very solid incoming 2019 class.  

I won't be surprised to see Frank have a multi-year NCAA tournament run that will rival any ever seen here before.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#15 ViajeroCock

ViajeroCock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationNaples, FL

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:18 PM

I am 100% behind CFM. I wish we were consistently a threat to go deep in the NCAA tournament but obviously we’re at a disadvantage in recruiting for many reasons. When the NBA changes their rules in a couple of years and kids can jump right into the league out of high school I actually think that will help us. CFM is good at developing players who stay in his program for a few years as opposed to being a good recruiter of “one and done” type players

#16 LexCock

LexCock

Frank McGuire BB School Alumnus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:21 PM

The buyout for Martin was reported to be over $12 million this year.  A school would have to be crazy to pay that.  As such, him leaving was never a real threat.

Here's the link if anyone hasn't seen it...

https://sports.usato...sketball/coach/

Edited by LexCock, 17 April 2019 - 01:23 PM.

"Free Throw Shooting Champion"

#17 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:28 PM

Probably Cincy could get a shoe sales group to don't that up.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users