Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Gamecocks' Top 10 Receivers: Sterling Sharpe or Alshon Jeffery?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:18 AM

:) Article!!!

Edited by fanalways, 08 July 2019 - 01:20 AM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#2 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:41 PM

This a very good assessment. I figured he would have forgotten Freddy Zeigler but he did remember number 80. Saw him person and heard many games called on the radio Suggs to Zeigler by the undisputed all time champion announcer of all things Gameccock, Bob Fulton.

Edited by Cockyprince, 08 July 2019 - 08:47 PM.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#3 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:39 PM

The other thing to remember about Freddie Zeigler was that when he played, the game was still mostly run oriented and..... the vast majority of passes were the downfield kind, often 20, 30, or longer in nature, instead of the common dinks and dunks and WR screen passes we see today. That means he had fewer chances to catch a ball and lower % type completion ones.

For those who never saw him play, he wasn't big, he was slow, but somehow managed to get himself open, used his body to shield himself from defenders, and if he could touch a ball, he would catch it. The favorite go to guy for Tommy Suggs and he had many great targets back then such as Jimmy Mitchell, Doug Hamrick, and others, to whom he spread the passes out. Also, Freshmen could not play varsity..

This was the era I began following USC, in person and on the radio, and they were always exciting games. Glad to see Zeigler included in the list. Not bad for a kid who began as a walk-on, even way back then.

I would say that of all those on the list, he most maxed out his ability and opportunity to catch passes.

Edited by brat, 09 July 2019 - 05:42 PM.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#4 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:00 AM

Sterling Sharpe is the best receiver I have ever watched. I love Alshon but Sterling had another gear after a catch. His career ended much too soon.

#5 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

For me it's a tie at #1.

#1A-For those of us who had to fortunate pleasure to watch Sharpe, it's hard to argue that he should not occupy this spot.  His speed after catch was a thing of beauty to watch.

#1B-It's also not possible to ignore how incredibly good Alshon was, especially at going up and getting balls and making big play after big play.  I'll never forget his highly acrobatic reception right before halftime for a TD, to take the lead, playing Nebraska in the Citrus Bowl.

-I'd likely put Brooks at #2.  He may have been the most purely exciting WR ever to wear garnet and black!  The catches he made would take your breath away!

-I'd also include Bruce Ellington over Zola Davis.

-With a solid 2019 season Edwards will likely work his way into the Top 5.

Edited by SouthernGamecock, 09 July 2019 - 02:00 PM.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users