#1 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

I ran into trouble with the Directvnow. They raised every subscriber $10 as anonymously as they could by burying the notice in an email. They could not deliver CBS due to a contract dispute and they changed their packages without notification. What I bought in February for $45 had become $65 and still did not have all the locals as promised. Therefore I switched to HULU which I have found to have a better picture, sharper, and with all the locals I wanted. The only channels I didn't get were the Hallmark Movies which for the Cockprincess are mandatory. I can and will buy about 5 channels of Hallmark for $5.99 a month which when coupled with HULU at $45 then the new price for services to replace Directvnow will be $50.99 compared to DTV price of $65 and this service is better and has more content. I stream to dumb TVs with ROKU Streaming Sticks. ROKU, after you buy the sticks, is free and is portable.

Another bit of info is that if you are a ROKU subscriber and buy ESPN+ and I assume most everybody on here has ESPN+ already. You can then activate ESPN+ through the ESPN portal on ROKU and at any given time you will get every signal being televised live by ESPN anywhere, including SEC channel, plus they are constantly broadcasting replays of various events some of which may interest you. Also through a free YOUTUBE portal on ROKU, you can watch historical Gamecock Sports all day every day if that is what you want. I watch Clowney shake Murray like a ragdoll about once a week and seeing Gilmore shut down Julio from the 2010 game is almost as good.

So I now have every portal for sports that I know about on my two TVs because of having ROKU & HULU & ESPN+ not to mention for her, 5 channels of Hallmark goop. HULU has CBS All Access, FS1, FS2, SEC, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, Golf and some other obscure stuff. Also, all these services give you APPs for phone & tablet along with the travel attribute of ROKU, you can access your services anywhere you have internet access which is fast enough.

I have SiriusXM now in both vehicles and both phones and any computer with only one account. Their new offering for the Select package gives you that kind of flexibility and I only pay $35 every six months for all of that. Plenty of sports on SiriusXM. Hint. Get their app on your phone then connect your phone by blue tooth to any car radio so equipped and you can play SiriusXM programming without having an account for the car.

I am now confident that if a football game is televised I will have the needed access to view it or at worst if traveling where video won't function by phone, I can listen. Go Gamecocks!!!

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#2 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:29 PM

I miss the 20th Century.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#3 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,440 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:53 PM

I am going to pin this thread for a little while. Good info.

#4 Traveling Man

Traveling Man

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSpring Hill, SC

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

Thank you for posting this valuable information. Question about your internet connection. Do those subscriptions require a "high speed Internet connection"? I live in rural SC and my only choice for internet is Hughes Net, not real fast or cheap.

#5 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:18 PM

You can research this using the internet. Hughes has a download speed of 25 Mbps and an upload of 3 Mbps. HULU requires 8 Mbps download speed. But, I repeat, investigate for yourself, I could be wrong. That's my disclaimer. Hughes speed is probably pretty constant. I have highspeed off Mediacom cable which if it is running on single tube coax (old technology) the more customers online the slower it gets. You can notice this in hotels where after supper when all the road warriors come in the free wi-fi gets real slow. Almost any internet running on fiber is plenty fast for TV.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#6 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,232 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:14 PM

Thanks CP.  I jumped back to Sling from DirectvNow last week.  Screw 'em.

This space for rent or lease.

#7 Traveling Man

Traveling Man

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:49 AM

You can research this using the internet. Hughes has a download speed of 25 Mbps and an upload of 3 Mbps. HULU requires 8 Mbps download speed. But, I repeat, investigate for yourself, I could be wrong. That's my disclaimer. Hughes speed is probably pretty constant. I have highspeed off Mediacom cable which if it is running on single tube coax (old technology) the more customers online the slower it gets. You can notice this in hotels where after supper when all the road warriors come in the free wi-fi gets real slow. Almost any internet running on fiber is plenty fast for TV.

I can confirm that the 25 Mbps speed is inflated but fairly constant. I am going to give HULU a try, thanks for the tips. 

#8 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

HULU offers a 7-day free trial. Most streaming vendors offer free trials from 7 days up to 30 days, and all have month to month agreements. You can contact them fairly quickly with chat and HULU actually has live people to answer the phone if needed. Directvnow is changing their name to ATTnow so don't be fooled.

#9 Traveling Man

Traveling Man

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:13 PM

Well I am currently subscribed to Dish Network and currently under contract. They did their usual this year and refused to pay Fox South so I am unable to watch the Braves. I'm ditching them as soon as my subscription has expired, in fact I may just pay the termination fee if I like HULU.

#10 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

Well I am currently subscribed to Dish Network and currently under contract. They did their usual this year and refused to pay Fox South so I am unable to watch the Braves. I'm ditching them as soon as my subscription has expired, in fact I may just pay the termination fee if I like HULU.

Yep. When I got ready to cut the cord, I checked on buying out my contract with DISH. It was too expensive so I waited them out and they did a hard sell trying to get me to stay however there was no way anything they offered short of a free few months or a year would have tempted me and they did not have that on their list of temptations. I had almost a year and I spent part of that time studying how to cut the cord and decided on ROKU so I was ready when the time came. The only real mistake I made was using Directvnow. Horrible experience overall. Now I am well pleased for the time being. 

Edited by Cockyprince, 14 August 2019 - 03:33 PM.

#11 SteelGamecock

SteelGamecock

Steve Spurrier's Caddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationWalking with the Ball Coach

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:59 PM

Roku hardware just works.  SlingTV is good and I still have it, but overpriced if you consider the number of streams limitations.  ESPN+ is helpful and not expensive.

I have Roku boxes + Sling + ESPN+ + a Plex media server  

“Fortunately I always keep a spare in my locker.”

#12 Gashcock

Gashcock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:57 PM

I run a firestick in one room I can put any tv on it that i want to see and it's all free for me............

I have 3 boxes that I run in the others rooms and just like the firestick it's all free for me

I use apk files it has a lot of apps that are really good for tv 

:dancincocky: Look Out Here Comes The BOOM :dancincocky: John Gash

#13 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:07 AM

I run a firestick in one room I can put any tv on it that i want to see and it's all free for me............

I have 3 boxes that I run in the others rooms and just like the firestick it's all free for me

I use apk files it has a lot of apps that are really good for tv 

I am not firestick literate except to think it is an Amazon product or offering. Can you elaborate on what running a firestick for free entails?

#14 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 11,057 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:49 AM

CP - FoxNews? OAP?

#15 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,232 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:18 PM

Roku hardware just works.  SlingTV is good and I still have it, but overpriced if you consider the number of streams limitations.  ESPN+ is helpful and not expensive.

I have Roku boxes + Sling + ESPN+ + a Plex media server  

Sling will be temporary.  Mrs.Tap got so pizzed with DirectTV she activated Sling.  I said something like "Ok" when I came home from work.

This space for rent or lease.

#16 jaxbeachcock

jaxbeachcock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Beach, FL

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:40 PM

I just go to the local sports bar, lol.

Go Gamecocks!!!

#17 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:00 PM

Doug, Good article but where it says Directvnow $50 it should say $60. You can see the services, cost and offerings and which streaming technology supports which streaming packages. I like ROKU for technology.

https://www.techhive...g-services.html

Edited by Cockyprince, 15 August 2019 - 06:02 PM.

#18 Gashcock

Gashcock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:25 PM

I am not firestick literate except to think it is an Amazon product or offering. Can you elaborate on what running a firestick for free entails?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4L_GELC7LM

Edited by Gashcock, 15 August 2019 - 08:27 PM.

#19 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4L_GELC7LM

Will you give me some examples of what apps you have pirated using this jailbreak method?

#20 Gashcock

Gashcock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:17 PM

if you will send me a email address ill send you a link to my site that does all this stuff and you can learn from there................it's all the the apps and all..............if anyone else is interested send me a email and i'll hook you up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users