#1 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

To think we had what was unveiled Saturday, even-tempered by considering the difference in opponent quality, and thinking about what our brain trust unveiled against UNC, makes me depressed. I can see why UF fired Muschamp. He gets in a rut with players and won't get himself out until his whole world loses confidence in his ability to coach. I personally think he should be the recruiting coordinator. He is not head coach material. We could have covered against UNC with a decent coaching job. We had the personnel, some misassigned on the field and the rest on the sidelines. I don't think he will respond in the future much better if any better than he has in the past with yanking people who are not playing up the level required for us to be competitive. He and/or his Coordinators set their plans and stick with them win or lose. Against UNC all he did was change his plans from winning by 12-14 points to trying to eke out a 3 point win but the defense could not hold when they had the great defensive field position. He must learn to get involved and push his assistants to keep improvising until the have the right personnel on the field inter-game and intra-game. I still have no confidence in Muschamp except as a recruiter. Sorry to be negative amongst all this euphoria but it took me a long time to think this out and if I were AD I would be evaluating personnel for a new HBC now instead of in December. Muschamp may have too much big money left over from getting bought out of his previous failures so that he is in a financial comfort zone, but to think what he could have done and didn't do to beat UNC scares me.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#2 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:26 PM

He is too loyal and too conservative. Normally, those are fine attributes in one's personal life, but not in business or organizations. In this case it's football coaching. That is fine when you have the personnel and team experience to force your will on the other teams. We don't, so it should be incumbent upon him to occasionally do the unexpected and to continue to both refine and expand the number of ways you do things. In business, even with success, you ride on your laurels too long, refuse to change or grow, it is a matter of time before your competition will pass you by.

Just like in most sports, you seldom, if ever, reach perfection no matter how good you are, but you must continue to practice, train, and think towards that goal. While perfection may remain elusive, it is likely your performance as an individual and group will improve.

I would much rather risk failure by trying innovation (although not in a reckless manner) than doing so by eternal stagnation.

Edited by brat, 09 September 2019 - 05:07 PM.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#3 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:34 PM

I blame the whole Gamecock Nation for our loss to unotc.

We thought this was a gimme and we all talked about it. The players were listening. SO it came down to the mental aspect of it. No matter what the coaches say or how the players practice, it they think the game is already won, they will not perform. The players learned a lesson that should carry them through "this" season. The fans will never learn.

#4 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:52 PM

I blame the whole Gamecock Nation for our loss to unotc.

We thought this was a gimme and we all talked about it. The players were listening. SO it came down to the mental aspect of it. No matter what the coaches say or how the players practice, it they think the game is already won, they will not perform. The players learned a lesson that should carry them through "this" season. The fans will never learn.

My take is like many times before, an actionable remedy was available to the HBC up until midway of the 4th period and he did not act ever. He set up the loss by bragging about best team he had here etc weeks in advance setting up the overconfidence situation, still the game may have been winnable until late just by changing QBs, but noooooooooo not our coach, He has to be reeling, knocked out on his feet before he comes to his senses.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#5 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

If players and a team can't get jacked up about playing a game (especially when there are relatively few games in season), I put it on them. Can't get the mindset of going out and not trying your best. Have some personal integrity. If I get beat, I won't like it, but can accept it if I gave it my all. I would be disgusted with myself if I half assed it or didn't give a rip. I would be irate with my teammates if I saw the same attitude with them.

Why play and practice and sweat and sacrifice time and other activities and then go belly up in a game? Is this another generational divide thing? I can't buy blaming the fans for being optimistic as a cause for losing a game. If you blame the fans for this supportive attitude, then you can also go after them for not being supportive enough in other games. In the end, if I am a player and we get beat, that is the last place I am pointing a finger. We either got outcoached, out game planned, had fewer top athletes, had an um;unlucky bounce of the ball, or did not put forth the effort to give ourselves a chance to win.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#6 jaxbeachcock

jaxbeachcock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Beach, FL

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:42 PM

There is a possibility, however slight it may be, that we can finish the regular season at 11-1. That's not too bad, lol. JMHO

Go Gamecocks!!!

#7 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

I’m not depressed yet. I was really pumped seeing Ryan come out of that tunnel Saturday. What frustrated me at UNC was the coaches not taking Jake out after the first interception. He could have come and sat down for one series, at least, to collect himself. The other two guys could have had a series and Jake could have returned. We have not seen a substation a single time since Jake started. He has missed one start only. I understand his experience counts, but if it’s not working, why keep doing it.
Ryan has never faced a SEC defense. It seems like a few snaps at UNC would at least give him some preparation.
I hurt for Jake. Last year he threw 14 interceptions and at UNC he threw two. He needed a good senior season to be considered by the NFL. Hopefully he’ll redshirt and play as a graduate somewhere other than USC.
I also agree that our kids walked into UNC overly confident. We had better talent but less heart.

#8 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:50 PM

If players and a team can't get jacked up about playing a game (especially when there are relatively few games in season), I put it on them. Can't get the mindset of going out and not trying your best. Have some personal integrity. If I get beat, I won't like it, but can accept it if I gave it my all. I would be disgusted with myself if I half assed it or didn't give a rip. I would be irate with my teammates if I saw the same attitude with them.

Why play and practice and sweat and sacrifice time and other activities and then go belly up in a game? Is this another generational divide thing? I can't buy blaming the fans for being optimistic as a cause for losing a game. If you blame the fans for this supportive attitude, then you can also go after them for not being supportive enough in other games. In the end, if I am a player and we get beat, that is the last place I am pointing a finger. We either got outcoached, out game planned, had fewer top athletes, had an um;unlucky bounce of the ball, or did not put forth the effort to give ourselves a chance to win.

To me, the HBC blaming the fans is like me telling my shareholders that I blamed our customers for the underperformance on consumption when I as CEO issued misinformation which created problems that caused my employees to underperform which is, in fact, the cause of dissatisfaction. We could have beaten UNC if the HBC didn't have brain freeze causing him to be passive instead of proactive. He is not head coach material. He could not see Roper's ineptness or Bentley's and if he did and did nothing then that's worse. My premise is he was over-promoted when he went to UF and he was again when he came here. He needs to go to a behavioral change expert to find out why he is not proactive and get some thinking exercises prescribed which will change his thinking. An executive leader must be proactive and Muschamp is not proactive and thus not executive material. He is a pick & shovel man, not a fast-thinking, decisive man.

Edited by Cockyprince, 09 September 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#9 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:46 PM

I did not put this on the fans. I blamed the WHOLE GAMECOCK NATION! And I am right. I find it irrational that some would think that just inserting another QB (although I agree it needed to be done) would have changed the complete mind set of the players. Possible? Maybe. I guess he could have played on the defense too. He looks athletic enough to play both ways. Maybe he cold have even held down two.....or maybe even three positions at the same time. Yeah that might have done it. This was not just a Qb playing bad. This was a whole team that stunk it up.

Anyone who has played the game of football has known in their heart at least one time when they were part a game lost because they did not come out in the right state of mind. And it does not matter how hard they practiced or sweated. Games are lost every year because of this same reason all across the football spectrum. Can one player fire up a team and make a difference? You bet he can and that is why I agree that there should have been a change at the QB position. With that said, I think we should have made a lot of changes during that game. I know I would have. I may have went to jail before that game was over. I might have blew my top but our Head Coach is not allowed to do that. He has already been told not to holler or scream at our players.

Football is 10% muscle and 90% mental. I have always believe this and always will. Even Coach Holtz said that a team can get up mentally for 2, maybe 3 games a season. The rest of the games was left up to the coach to get their heads on straight. Even then a Coach can fail when he thought he did everything right.

There are a lot reason we that may have effected the unotc loss.

#10 ViajeroCock

ViajeroCock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationNaples, FL

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:15 PM

I just hope the UNC loss was an eye opener to the coaches and team. They have to be at their best every game or they can lose. I want to see fierce intensity and passion every time we take the field. Period. As a whole, Gamecock fans didn’t handle losing well at all. Some on social media crossed lines in my opinion but as long as the team wins or at least shows passion & progress Gamecock fans will get behind them and all will be forgiven

#11 Taragirl87x

Taragirl87x

Lady Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  • Location8 miles from Clemson in a town called Seneca so feel my pain lol

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

When a coach is fired from one job and fortunate enough to get another, you would think they would be bound and determined to not make the same mistakes twice. When a QB is struggling, you bench them regardless of what his dad says or thinks. Loyalty goes out the window when it’s a matter of winning or losing. I get upset because it’s like none of our coordinators has any creativity, they continue to rely on the same plays over and over again making us a predictable as an open book. When you’re paid millions, us fans expect more then mediocre, and it’s not to much at ask, when we are the ones spending hard earned money to show our support to our team

#12 Gashcock

Gashcock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:04 PM

I may get jumped on for saying this but here goes.

I remember when clemsux lost a game and the news ask dabo who was to blame for them losing and he said the blame was all on him no one but me is the blame..

he said I did not have them ready to play and that's on me but I promise you they will be ready to play from here on out..They have not lost a game

we need this with Muschamp

I don't blame the team or the fans I blame the coach!

Muschamp got on tv and said this is the best and deepest team he has ever had .

:dancincocky: Look Out Here Comes The BOOM :dancincocky: John Gash

#13 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:05 PM

Gashcock, always say what you feel here. And know that I agree with you.

Everyone who has read what I or others have posted comes away with their own views of what is posted.  So in a way, no one is wrong. :)

#14 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:14 PM

I may get jumped on for saying this but here goes.

I remember when clemsux lost a game and the news ask dabo who was to blame for them losing and he said the blame was all on him no one but me is the blame..

he said I did not have them ready to play and that's on me but I promise you they will be ready to play from here on out..They have not lost a game

we need this with Muschamp

I don't blame the team or the fans I blame the coach!

Muschamp got on tv and said this is the best and deepest team he has ever had .

Like it or not Dabo has learned and changed his behavior as a result and as a result of changing, now National Champion. I remember the day we beat UF and Muschamp got fired that day. He is the same now as then. Unless he starts thinking differently and behaving differently, we will see him fired here and looking very down in the dumps again as it happens. 

#15 Gashcock

Gashcock

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:27 PM

We have not had that big win with muschamp..time for him to step up and do what he gets paid for and wim..

Edited by Gashcock, 09 September 2019 - 10:29 PM.

:dancincocky: Look Out Here Comes The BOOM :dancincocky: John Gash

#16 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:29 PM

We beat Michigan. That's his defining win here. Defining loss, either UVA or UNC, take your pick.

#17 wingchuncock

wingchuncock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:20 PM

We beat Michigan. That's his defining win here. Defining loss, either UVA or UNC, take your pick.

Well, Saturday is a new day, maybe we get the program defining win we so desperately need.

#18 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:14 PM

1. From a purely analytical prospective, putting all emotion aside, coach Muschamp's head coaching days as an SEC coach could be limited if he doesn't change the way he approaches coaching.  Change is very difficult for all of us.  He has to start with himself first, Want It and truly learn from his past mistakes.  He's in the 4th quarter and the sands of time are dropping down.

2. UNC is a much better team in 2019 than most people, including myself, realized.  As much as I dislike UNCheat, I've always respected Brown and his coaching ability.  He was able to coach them up in 2 games where they had to come from behind and win late in the game.  Fedora could recruit well but his coaching abilities were suspect.  He left talent in Chapel Hill.  This may not make anyone feel better but don't be surprised to see them face Clemson in the ACC championship game.  The ACC Coastal division is a train wreck.

3. We'll play better against Bama but I still believe they cover.  I simply don't believe that our defense is yet up to the challenge of stopping one of the best offenses in the country on a consistent basis.  I do have hope that Hilinski will have a solid outing and help us keep it fairly respectable.

4. If we play up to our full potential we can still have a good season and go to a decent bowl.

5. I was honestly depressed a bit the after the game and on the morning after the UNCheat upset but fortunately had so much going on that day, I had no choice but to put it aside and move on.  I won't get down like that again since my expectations have been well grounded.

Edited by SouthernGamecock, 11 September 2019 - 03:18 PM.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#19 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:36 PM

Southern, well thought out and well said. I too am hoping for a fairly respectable showing but am fully convinced Bama will cover the 25.5, mostly due to our defense being unable to hold UA from scoring when they want to bad enough. My depression remains because of Muschamp's propensity to stay with the status quo instead of improvising. Every time I think we have more hope I remember the tools he had available against UNC and didn't even open the toolbox to see what was in there. He is like a logger who tries to cut down trees with a high powered modern chainsaw but does not ever crank the engine, just saws away manually with the chain.

Edited by Cockyprince, 11 September 2019 - 03:37 PM.

#20 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:37 PM

From a purely analytical prospective: The cupboard was bare when Muschamp got here. Compare to Spurrier he had a decent roster to work with. Took him what, about 7 years to become a winner here. SO just curious as to why most seem to think that Muschamp should be able to do it sooner.

He is already ahead of Spurrier in the win column. And We sure haven't seen a bunch of timeouts calls just to have to have another one back to back like we used to see with Spurrier. No where near the amount offside calls like we did with SOS.

Now I am not knocking one or standing by the other but I think that maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves here. This is only year 4. And no, Bama does not cover. I think this will be a closer game than most think.

Seems like everyone is madly in love with dumbo these days because he is a winner now. But how long did it take him ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users