9 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 11,032 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:26 PM

We can all point to numerous problems with the offense, in particular the lack of ability to run the ball effectively, but I cannot help but focus on the number of dropped passes that occurred this year.

#2 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:37 PM

Unknowable number of wrong routes run by youngsters forced onto the field due to injury at WR, too.

Saw where we were #121 out of 130 schools in points per game average (taking away everyone's games against lower level competition (our game against Coastal Carolina was take out).

Too early to tell exactly what or who we have to begin next season, but I am not filled with hope. It will be tough to get 6 wins, though, even with a slightly easier schedule.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#3 53fan

53fan

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationRock Hill

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:21 PM

Dropped passes halted a ton of drives this year. Especially frustrating were the ones with the received wide open. Almost as frustrating as wide open receivers being overthrown

#4 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:51 AM

Yeah but also lots where be a wide open receiver wAs missed by Hilinski. One that would have won a game stands out as our last play of the game.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#5 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:01 AM

Yeah but also lots where be a wide open receiver wAs missed by Hilinski. One that would have won a game stands out as our last play of the game. Think it was App State.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#6 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:02 AM

Yeah but also lots where be a wide open receiver wAs missed by Hilinski. One that would have won a game stands out as our last play of the game. Think it was App State.

#7 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:17 AM

Also seems Bentley missed one wide open near the end of UNC that would have won that one. Therefore two bad passes to wide open wrs cost 2 wins. If we had those 2 wins things would look a little bit different right now.

#8 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,637 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:48 AM

We are second in the country for dropped catchable balls.  Only Arky is worse.

#9 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:04 PM

Some of the dropped passes can be attributed to inexperience, some were related to the fact that an injured Hilinski was far less than 100% most of the season.  I recall him limping behind center more often than not, which surely affected his throwing ability. 

On the other hand there were many wide open catchable passes that were inexplicably dropped.  I remember a point where Josh Vann had dropped like 3 of his last 4 before being injured and out for the season.  It's almost as if many of our WR/TE were tentative trying to catch the ball versus being aggressive, much like Bryan Edwards usually was.  One certainly has to question the coaching and development of our WR in this regard.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#10 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:19 PM

Some of the dropped passes can be attributed to inexperience, some were related to the fact that an injured Hilinski was far less than 100% most of the season.  I recall him limping behind center more often than not, which surely affected his throwing ability. 

On the other hand there were many wide open catchable passes that were inexplicably dropped.  I remember a point where Josh Vann had dropped like 3 of his last 4 before being injured and out for the season.  It's almost as if many of our WR/TE were tentative trying to catch the ball versus being aggressive, much like Bryan Edwards usually was.  One certainly has to question the coaching and development of our WR in this regard.

Which brings to question Bryan McClendon. Hope if he has WRs in 2020 that by focusing on that one assignment his coach will overcome these problems of dropped passes. We have a reasonable quantity of capable receivers I think, when healthy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users