15 replies to this topic

#1 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

Bad free throw shooting and NOT COACHING resulted in the men basketball team loss at Tennessee. Players must take accountability for their actions on the basketball court and work to improve their weaknesses. When this group of players play great team defense and make open shots, they can beat any team in the country which they have already proven by beating the defending national champions Virginia team on the road. That is why is it so frustrating to watch them lose a game at Tennessee that they should have easily won by making their free throws. Winning close games is the difference in making the NCAA Tournament in March or sitting at home in March watching other schools play in the tournament.

Article

Edited by fanalways, 13 January 2020 - 01:34 PM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#2 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

Bad Free Throw Shooting continues to plague this team and as a result they're one of the worst teams in the country from the charity stripe.  This is unacceptable and every player should be shooting FT after practice until they learn to make them!

It also didn't help that 4 of our starters combined for a grand total of 14 points between them.

Justin Minaya: 0

Keyshawn Bryant: 8

Jair Bolden: 2

AJ Lawson: 4

It also doesn't help when our entire team makes a grand total of 2 of 13 three point shots.  That equates to roughly 15% from the arc.  This isn't bad, it's atrocious and is a key reason we're also one of the worst teams in Division I shooting 3-point shots.

As I watched the game against Tennessee on Saturday I've come to the conclusion that years team is one of the worst offensive teams I've seen here at South Carolina in many years.  It's almost as if coach Martin only recruits players that can play defense and fails to put any emphasis on the offensive side of the game.  As long as he continues to build teams of this mold, we're going to continue to be mediocre at best.  If we had just a decent offense this team would be well on it's way to post-season play.  At this point, it's hard to see this team even making the NIT.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#3 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

I was so glad to AJ back and now I regret it. He came back because the league wants to see more out of him. Well they are getting less. If he thinks he can just skate thru this season and hit the road next year he is wrong. All he is going to do is hurt this team. The kids look up to him and he refuses to be a leader. SO who wants to be a leader and the first one you have to get after is AJ. Sounds like it could be an issue "if I am right about this".

jmo

#4 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:54 PM

Just reading through these posts it sounds like we are going nowhere substantially because these players don't hate losing and they may not all like their coaches well enough to give extra to be their best.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#5 SteelGamecock

SteelGamecock

Steve Spurrier's Caddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWalking with the Ball Coach

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

Looks like Martin has again been successful...

At throwing the players under the bus and getting everyone else to ride along.

“Fortunately I always keep a spare in my locker.”

#6 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:13 PM

I don't recruit a kid if he can't shoot FTs, as that shows lack of dedication and a poor work ethic in terms of basketball development. If he didn't spend time on that, he might be hardheaded in other areas.

As embarrassing as it is, Frank should tell the team that anyone who shoots less than 70% from the line has to shoot all FTs ala the great Rick Barry or the "granny style." When I was a kid, I use to shoot them that way, sometimes, for fun while practicing alone. Easy to shoot 10 or more in a row before missing, I think Barry is #2 in NBA history from the FT with over 90% accuracy in his career.

It is easy to do and you can shoot. a high % with little effort.

This would be akin to what Wolf use to do with the OL and make the worst graded OL for the previous week weak a pink boa during practice.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#7 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:19 PM

Looks like Martin has again been successful...

At throwing the players under the bus and getting everyone else to ride along.

Hey Steel, does your post implicate me ?? I seemed to have noticed a "trolling" of my posts on your behalf. If I am wrong please forgive me. If I am right, then let's hear what the deal is.

#8 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:20 PM

I don't recruit a kid if he can't shoot FTs, as that shows lack of dedication and a poor work ethic in terms of basketball development. If he didn't spend time on that, he might be hardheaded in other areas.

As embarrassing as it is, Frank should tell the team that anyone who shoots less than 70% from the line has to shoot all FTs ala the great Rick Barry or the "granny style." When I was a kid, I use to shoot them that way, sometimes, for fun while practicing alone. Easy to shoot 10 or more in a row before missing, I think Barry is #2 in NBA history from the FT with over 90% accuracy in his career.

It is easy to do and you can shoot. a high % with little effort.

This would be akin to what Wolf use to do with the OL and make the worst graded OL for the previous week weak a pink boa during practice.

Whatever it takes you can count me in.

#9 SteelGamecock

SteelGamecock

Steve Spurrier's Caddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWalking with the Ball Coach

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:40 PM

Hey Steel, does your post implicate me ?? I seemed to have noticed a "trolling" of my posts on your behalf. If I am wrong please forgive me. If I am right, then let's hear what the deal is.

No trolling. Sorry if it appeared that way.

I'm just tired of Martin's song and dance, and I'm 99.99% certain that Gamecock basketball isn't going to get any better under current leadership.

“Fortunately I always keep a spare in my locker.”

#10 12th Mann

12th Mann

Gamecock nurse nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,688 posts
  • LocationUpstate

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:58 PM

Ho hum.  Here we are again.

#11 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:22 AM

No trolling. Sorry if it appeared that way.

I'm just tired of Martin's song and dance, and I'm 99.99% certain that Gamecock basketball isn't going to get any better under current leadership.

No prob. Sorry for the mistake.

We all have different opinions as to why our basketball team is not up to speed. I just hope we can get it straight even if it is getting to late for anything good this year.

#12 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:13 PM

I've seen the following questions posed on another site, so I'd like to see what the Gamecock basketball faithful here think?

If we fail to make the NCAAs should coach Martin be given another year?

Would making an NIT suffice instead and give coach Martin 1 more year to turn things in the right direction?

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#13 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 6,279 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:24 PM

No NCAA this year and we need to move in another direction.  

Posted Image

#14 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

Not a direct answer but you can tell where I stand. I would have fired him in about 2011 or so and almost anytime since. Making the Final Four just prolonged our agony.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#15 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

Yes, Frank should go if we fail to make post season. The question is, does his buyout, like Muschamp, take that possibility off the board.

To me, the NIT is not post season. As has been said many times, even if you win, you are the tallest midget. Big deal. If you can't make the big dance, you don't deserve any perks. The NIT is a participation ribbon for the upper class losers. It would be like in football, showing recruits a football trophy from the Poulan Weedeater Bowl before they were born. If the recruits are the type that want to come here for that, I would say we are settling for anyone who can sign their name on a LOI, regardless of talent level.

Extra practice time??? How about extra recruiting time, instead and get better players who have a solid basketball IQ and are willing to work like crazy to improve and are willing to take the kind of coaching you dish out?

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#16 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:12 PM

I like the talented recruits that Coach Martin has coming in next season. The team will be more athletic and rebounding will improve. That will be Coach Martin's most talented team to date & deep especially if A.J. Lawson returns, which he should. Nobody on the current team is ready for the NBA.

Edited by fanalways, 14 January 2020 - 08:52 PM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users