9 replies to this topic

#1 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 6,324 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:30 PM

Here's where the men's team stands in the NET rankings.  Moving in the right direction, but there are some tough games coming up.

https://247sports.co...b-13-143759264/

Posted Image

#2 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,269 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:13 PM

What's our response if we don't make the tournament?  Official NIT bid is it? 

It would be disappointing for me. I'd like for CFM to make something good happen - NCAA now.  If we don't, I'm wondering how many "next year" statements I can take.

I'd like to see (hear) your thoughts. 

This space for rent or lease.

#3 CockEngineer

CockEngineer

Illuminati

• Moderators
  • 6,324 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:44 PM

Going to be tough to get. The little room for error. Earlier (prior to the Kentucky win), I was in favor of a new direction if we didn't make the tournament. Now, I've sort of swung back to another year. I like Frank and want to see him win here. We've got some good talent coming back - with or without Lawson. Though I suspect we'll miss Kotsar next season.
Posted Image

#4 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:33 AM

You don't want to hear my thoughts. Coach Frank is as good as there is in the SEC and any coach out there will tell you this.

After the problems he has had to overcome in recruiting(which had nothing to so with him) and now getting us to where we can bring talent that can play well from day one instead of having to take athletes that need a couple of years of work to be even half way productive on the court. And I mean a team of good players, not just one or two, and to NOW want to get rid of him makes NO sense to me. Even if they lose every game left on the schedule. Which they won't. They have a better chance of winning every game left to honest. And that is TOTALLY a credit to the hard work Coach Frank has put in to this university.

We are the verge of greatness. Please if possible show up and show out to any game that you can attend. Then you will be able to look back say I was there in the beginning of this greatness that South Carolina basketball has become.

I know we will miss Kotsar next year but I do believe that Leveque is getting the experience to take over that spot. That boy can play some ball and with the coaching he is getting is only going to improve every game. I remember when at the last moment we were able to bring in McCreary. I thought he is going to be good. Now after watching him as a freshmen, I think........dang he may end being great. It seems like he has been taking big steps forward since his hair cut.

We have a team of winners. Young winners who will not learn to lose. Yes they are having to learn to win at this level, but they seem to taking the right steps now in obtaining that knowledge.

I say leave Coach Martin alone. It's looks quite obvious to me that he is doing his job.

#5 Kiwicock

Kiwicock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts
  • LocationAiken

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:26 AM

We are gonna be at the Vol game...looking forward to it👍

#6 2cocky4u

2cocky4u

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:00 PM

Give him another year due to what should be a tourney team next year. if he is successful next year add a year's extension to his contract with very marginal raise. If he loses next year, time for a fresh start. Under no circumstance even if he wins a national championship due I give him a long term deal and a massive raise. For a long term extension and nice raise Frank would need to make the tourney three years in a row.

#7 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:05 PM

Much like our current Women's team, from top to bottom talent-wise this is the best team that coach Martin has had here.  This doesn't necessarily mean that they're the best team right now, even coach Martin said that himself.  We're very young with only one senior.  Will we miss Kotsar, sure but it took him 2-3 years to develop into the very good player that we see now.  Players like McCreary & Leveque honestly appear to have as much if not more upside than Kotsar did playing as a freshman.  Kotsar should be the only player we lose going into the 20/21 season.  I guess Lawson could declare but he's far from being NBA ready from what I've seen this far.  I think AJ will return for at least 1 more season.

I've been critical myself at times of coach Martin, but I want him to succeed here so badly.  I love his coaching style, enjoy listening to his interviews and press conferences and simply like him as person.  

His past struggles have been more to do with establishing a good recruiting base when he inherited absolutely nothing and building depth, which was a glaring problem throughout his early years.  Recruiting has improved and should continue to get better and he now seems to be retaining more players much longer, having to rely less and less on transfers to build depth.

I believe he can get us to the Big Dance this season if we continue to take care of business and win.  I worry more about getting screwed by the selection committee when the time comes to pick 65 teams.  Next season I believe that we'll be a Top 25 team and comfortably make the tournament.  Heck, if we keep winning the way we have we may end up ranked ourselves(crossing fingers).

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#8 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:47 PM

Good post SG. I agree with everything you said.

#9 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:55 PM

2cocky4u, I truly believe that we will become a regular in the tourney.

A lot of people want to look Dawn's team when talking about our men's team but you must remember. Frank had a harder time getting good recruits and is just now getting to where he should be and this was no fault of his own. Frank has been here 8 YEARS.

EVERYBODY loves and want to play for Dawn. Hell even I want to play for her and she has done a good job to finally seal the #1 spot in BOTH polls. First time for her to that. Dawn has been here 12 YEARS.

#10 LexCock

LexCock

Frank McGuire BB School Alumnus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:29 PM

Going to be tough to get. The little room for error. Earlier (prior to the Kentucky win), I was in favor of a new direction if we didn't make the tournament. Now, I've sort of swung back to another year. I like Frank and want to see him win here. We've got some good talent coming back - with or without Lawson. Though I suspect we'll miss Kotsar next season.

If Lawson stays (and I wouldn't draft him at this point if I were a team in the NBA), it will be interesting to see how the scholarship numbers work out.  Woods was promised to be put on scholarship next year, yet we lose only Kotsar and Henry and we have signed 2 guys to come in.

"Free Throw Shooting Champion"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users