7 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 11,178 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:12 PM

This week, the SEC is in the midst of meetings to determine what would be the first publicized considerations for allowing athletes to return voluntarily. SEC athletic directors are expected to meet with health experts on Thursday and then give a recommendation to university presidents and chancellors about whether they should extend the current May 31 lockdown deadline or determine a date to begin phased reopening. The presidents and chancellors are expected to make a decision when they meet Friday, multiple sources told ESPN.

While there is no formal timetable for college sports to resume, and NCAA president Mark Emmert has made it clear his office won't mandate any uniform start date, there is a growing acceptance among college athletics leaders that in order for the student-athletes to return to a safe environment, some form of coronavirus testing will have to be part of the equation.

"What we do know is we have to work very hard with federal, state and local health officials to try and get in place testing at every level we can," Emmert said. "As we heard from the federal guidelines and all of the public health officials, it's a necessary step before you can move back toward anything like normalcy. In my opinion, it's the critical linchpin to making this all work."

https://www.espn.com...ollege-football

#2 SCNitehawk2

SCNitehawk2

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationGamecock Nation, USA

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:20 AM

The lack of leadership and guidance by the NCAA, since they shut everything down, has been deafening. 

#3 2cocky4u

2cocky4u

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:14 AM

the key to football returning is LOST REVENUE! NCAA has always stood for No Care About Athletes,  but this extends way farther up the line in the universities. Everyone is worried about their precious piece of the financial pie. Schools should continue online until a vaccination can be distributed to the student body, and the American population in general. All school could probably return to normal for spring semester 2021 with all things returning to normal. Including, Frank Martin's team not making the ncaa tourney.  

#4 Kiwicock

Kiwicock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationAiken

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:24 AM

the key to football returning is LOST REVENUE! NCAA has always stood for No Care About Athletes, but this extends way farther up the line in the universities. Everyone is worried about their precious piece of the financial pie. Schools should continue online until a vaccination can be distributed to the student body, and the American population in general. All school could probably return to normal for spring semester 2021 with all things returning to normal. Including, Frank Martin's team not making the ncaa tourney.

There would be no schools to return to. Unfortunately, it’s apparent that many of us have different views on this whole pandemic. Both my wife and I are healthcare workers...she’s a nurse at a hospital that has 2 negative pressure units, one with 30 beds, respirators etc. The demand for these beds have been very, very, very low...as in a handful used for COVID positive patients during the last 2 months. There is so much misinformation out there...so many experts and models that have not been accurate, misreported COVID deaths from hospitals. Some patients were documented COVID deaths that were deemed presumptive COVID with no test performed. There’s a hospital in Boston on the hook for falsely claiming COVID deaths for the financial assistance they receive for each case, which is considerable. Do not assume that this isn’t happening all over the US. People will also be surprised just how much of the population that will test positive for antibodies that didn’t experience any symptoms or remember having had some kind of respiratory type crud back late last year or earlier this year. The actual numbers are skewed.
I could go on and on...and for every view and opinion I have, there is someone with an opposing one and I respect that as their right. I truly believe if there was an absence of social media, the internet and multiple news outlets with agendas other than simply reporting facts then we could have very well gone on living our lives as we were prior. Fear and hysteria is rampant and much of the media Is responsible.
The world did not shut down for the Hong Kong Flu responsible for 1.1 million deaths Worldwide and over 100,000 deaths in the US alone. But it was 1968 and we had no internet and only 4 news networks that actually tried to report the news without the same political bias we see today...heck we even had a little thing called Woodstock going on during that pandemic period.
Bottom line is, unless we get society moving again then the effects of that will be far more devastating than the COVID virus itself. We are in a dangerous economic position...there are lives in ruin, businesses that will never return...hospitals that are only operating at 50% capacity...which means some are laying off nurses and staff.
These are just mine and many of my colleagues thoughts, sorry to rant...I know many are worried. I will respect their views even if I don’t agree with them. Thanks.

#5 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:06 PM

the key to football returning is LOST REVENUE! NCAA has always stood for No Care About Athletes,  but this extends way farther up the line in the universities. Everyone is worried about their precious piece of the financial pie. Schools should continue online until a vaccination can be distributed to the student body, and the American population in general. All school could probably return to normal for spring semester 2021 with all things returning to normal. Including, Frank Martin's team not making the ncaa tourney.  

Sounds like you are promoting mandatory vaccines. If so I ain't taking a vaccine untill they take my firearm first, run me down and beat my butt until unconcious. Then they can give me a mandatory vaccine.

#6 2cocky4u

2cocky4u

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:34 AM

Not promoting mandatory anything. Point is the ncaa and power5 confer. need to be worried as much about safety as they are their millions they are worried about not getting. 

#7 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 24 May 2020 - 09:13 PM

June 8th is the start date for voluntary return to campus.  What happens if a player and his family aren't comfortable with that? 

This space for rent or lease.

#8 LexCock

LexCock

Frank McGuire BB School Alumnus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:41 PM

Sounds like you are promoting mandatory vaccines. If so I ain't taking a vaccine untill they take my firearm first, run me down and beat my butt until unconcious. Then they can give me a mandatory vaccine.

There won’t be any mandatory vaccinations, at least not in the US, not without a major change to the constitution which has proven to be next to impossible over the years.

"Free Throw Shooting Champion"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users