Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A'ja Wilson: Rename the Strom Thurmond Center at The University of South Carolina

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:46 AM

A'ja Wilson is leading a petition to change the name of the Strom Thurmond Center. Marcus Lattimore, Alshon Jeffery, Sindarius Thornwell and Alex English also support this. Great move by A'ja!!! :dancincocky:

Petition (Click on the Picture to get to the Petition) :)

USC Sports Legends Call for the Removal of Strom Thurmond Name from Campus Building (Article) :)

Petition Calls For Strom Thurmond Wellness Center To Be Renamed After Coach Dawn Staley (Article) :dancincocky:

Edited by fanalways, 19 June 2020 - 08:28 AM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#2 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 19 June 2020 - 01:01 PM

Why don't they go ahead and put up statues of Marx and Stalin while they are at it.

#3 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 20 June 2020 - 01:35 AM

I guess they would like me to turn in my high school diploma because Strom Thurman handed it to me.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#4 RickMiller

RickMiller

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationSalem SC

Posted 20 June 2020 - 11:19 AM

A'ja Wilson is leading a petition to change the name of the Strom Thurmond Center. Marcus Lattimore, Alshon Jeffery, Sindarius Thornwell and Alex English also support this. Great move by A'ja!!! :dancincocky:

Petition (Click on the Picture to get to the Petition) :)

USC Sports Legends Call for the Removal of Strom Thurmond Name from Campus Building (Article) :)

Petition Calls For Strom Thurmond Wellness Center To Be Renamed After Coach Dawn Staley (Article) :dancincocky:

Actually former player Tim "pops" Frisby was the first one to mention it and other former players followed suit. Aja Wilson was the first to suggest it be renamed for Dawn Staley.

#5 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:16 AM

:)Gamecock Greats Continue Call for Removal of Strom Thurmond from Fitness Center (Article/Video)

Edited by fanalways, 21 June 2020 - 02:19 AM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#6 vaquero59

vaquero59

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationFrom Charleston but living in Hickory, NC

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:25 PM

And take down anything that has to do with or relates to African-American people. Change all the streets named after MLK or any other famous black people. Just remember ALL LIVES MATTER, not just black ones.

#7 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:00 PM

And take down anything that has to do with or relates to African-American people. Change all the streets named after MLK or any other famous black people. Just remember ALL LIVES MATTER, not just black ones.

MLK has a national holiday. He tried to unify the country using nonviolence and was KILLED while doing it.

#8 RickMiller

RickMiller

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationSalem SC

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:35 PM

Most anyone supporting Black Lives Matter acknowledges that all lives matter but you can't say truthfully that all lives matter until Black Lives Matter! Simple as that. 

#9 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:12 PM

Most anyone supporting Black Lives Matter acknowledges that all lives matter but you can't say truthfully that all lives matter until Black Lives Matter! Simple as that. 

Be careful of what you support and what you hope for because you might just get it.  blm president Hawk Newsome says. 

" "if this country doesn't give us what we want, then we will burn down this system and replace it. All right? "

Just know that a resistance force(s) is already in place and growing and is capable to take care of the business that needs to be taken care of.

Edited by RoboRooster, 26 June 2020 - 08:13 PM.

#10 Taragirl87x

Taragirl87x

Lady Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  • Location8 miles from Clemson in a town called Seneca so feel my pain lol

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:36 PM

Black Lives Matters so much that they are killing hundreds of their own people in Chicago everyday. I live in a community of at least 4 interracial couples. Who are all welcomed and accepted. There are as many part white and part black children now as there are of any single race. I know that racism still exists but it’s not near to the degree as they are trying to make it out to be.

#11 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:03 AM

Black Lives Matters so much that they are killing hundreds of their own people in Chicago everyday. I live in a community of at least 4 interracial couples. Who are all welcomed and accepted. There are as many part white and part black children now as there are of any single race. I know that racism still exists but it’s not near to the degree as they are trying to make it out to be.

The democrats are the racist one - they're all just hypocrites. They are voting for a man that used the N word in a very racist way.

Check out Biden's opinion of black mayors, Indians, and how he gets really creepy around little girls.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkUPIkE8f8Y

Edited by RoboRooster, 27 June 2020 - 04:44 AM.

#12 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:27 AM

BLM, by their own admission, are Marxist and trained Marxist, as stated in a video by the co-founder.

I imagine many supporters are not aware of that fact or truly ignorant of the evil of Marxism. That means they want to destroy America and everything it stands for and its culture and its history and religion. They don't want equality, they want total power and control of everything and everyone. That is control by force and intimidation, not reason and brotherhood.

Essentially, they are the PR arm of Antifa. By all means support justice for all, but do not support any group doing this nation harm. I pray to God that he protect this nation and defeat and destroy all enemies, foreign and domestic or quickly return and reclaim this world.

Edited by brat, 27 June 2020 - 02:38 AM.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#13 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:33 PM

I wouldn't walk across Assembly St to see anyone dishonor Strom Thurmond or his memory. I don't care if Aja, Marcus, Alshon, Sindarius, or Alex English  supports the concept of dishonoring Strom Thurmond, I would rather see any of them or all of them dishonored for showing such poor judgement. For them to join with such a Marxist movement at BLM to suggest dishonoring one of the greatest South Carolinians of all time disappoints me greatly and damages the esteem with which I regarded them. They should get a life and find someone to honor and not associate with any organization whose methods and procedures are to dishonor and destroy. I suggest they select the USC grad who has contributed the most to society and who does not have a statue on state grounds and lead an effort to honor that person by the placement of a statue. An effort like I describe is something in which we could all participate.

Edited by Cockyprince, 27 June 2020 - 08:35 PM.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#14 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:37 PM

It's a very sad time indeed for this great country where division like most of us have never witnessed is occurring daily.  BLM truly needs to be identified as a terrorist organization, as does Antifa.  When you see BLM protesters busting down gates on private property and invading people's lives you better look out, it maybe anyone of us next. 

Now I hear where they want to destroy the 4 presidents atop Mt. Rushmore for heaven's sake.  Where does it end and when do people begin to stand up and fight back!  Perhaps we should rename our nations capital due to the fact that a White man helped lead us to victory over the British during a time when slavery was simply a part of society.  General & President Washington also owned slaves so that makes him an evil White villain in the eyes of anyone who supports BLM.  All of our Founding Fathers are now being vilified by BLM and the far-left Marxist party, formerly known as the Democrats.  The battle to safe the Republic of the United States of America is now upon us!

All of us will be remembered for the good and bad that we've done, Strom Thurmond is no different.  I will forever remember him for the legislation that he helped pass along with senator Hollings to help protect one of the last great Wildernesses left in this modern and overdeveloped world of ours.  In 1975 he helped officially protect the Congaree Swamp as a National Monument, later to become Congaree National Park.  This is what I will remember him for, not some athletic building at USC with his name on it.  I'm all but certain that none of the ex-players pushing for the name change could acknowledge anything he did that made a true positive impact on this great planet.  Nothing any of them do or have done will have the same impact upon this earth as the legacy of helping to protect nearly 27,000 acres of old growth hardwood forest, harboring some of the tallest individual specific species of trees in the world.  They can virtue signal and pretend to be social justice warriors all they'd like, nothing can compare to helping to protect such unique and rare ecosystems.  Their impact will be fleeting compared to his.

https://en.wikipedia...e_National_Park

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#15 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:16 PM

All our former athletes named probably have never studied South Carolina history to know what great leaders our state has produced neither likely that they know all the wonderful contributions to society J. Strom Thurmond made during his life. Hopefully they are being misled by these terrorist and racial activist which is not a good thing but would be better than for me to know their hearts are hateful enough to want to destroy the memory of a great American and South Carolinian. 

#16 Taragirl87x

Taragirl87x

Lady Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  • Location8 miles from Clemson in a town called Seneca so feel my pain lol

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:57 AM

I guess they don’t realize that Strom had a black daughter 

Edited by Taragirl87x, 01 July 2020 - 03:57 AM.

#17 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:57 AM

All our former athletes named probably have never studied South Carolina history to know what great leaders our state has produced neither likely that they know all the wonderful contributions to society J. Strom Thurmond made during his life. Hopefully they are being misled by these terrorist and racial activist which is not a good thing but would be better than for me to know their hearts are hateful enough to want to destroy the memory of a great American and South Carolinian. 

The Racist Filibuster We Can't Afford to Forget (Article/Strom Thurmond Picture)

“There's not enough troops in the army, to force the southern people to
break down segregation and admit the nigger race into our theaters, into
our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches,” Thurmond
said.

This current generation of students need to know the TRUTH about Strom Thurmond and why his name needs to be removed from any public buildings IMMEDIATELY. As people can see from the article above Strom Thurmond didn't have a problem with using the N-word to describe the African American race. If Strom Thurmond had his way some of the GREATEST student-athletes in Gamecock history like George Rogers, Alex English, Sterling Sharpe, Marcus Lattimore, A'ja Wilson, Sindarius Thornwell, D.J. Swearinger, Alshon Jeffery, Jadeveon Clowney, and Stephon Gilmore just to name a few would NOT have been able to attend the University of South Carolina and Coach Staley would NOT be allowed to coach our Lady Gamecock basketball team. Clemson is replacing racist names from their buildings, NOW is the time for the GAMECOCKS TO DO THE SAME. Can't continue to allow Clemson to beat us in football and now also lead in this important area of renaming buildings. Replacing the name of Strom Thurmond should be top priority because not only will it hurt recruiting but it also reflect negatively on the core values of the University of South Carolina in today current environment. If Princeton University can replace the name of President Woodrow Wilson, who implemented racist policies, from their buildings, so can the Gamecocks.

Edited by fanalways, 02 July 2020 - 10:37 PM.

#18 SCNitehawk2

SCNitehawk2

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:24 AM

Let us also not forget that Thurmond was a Clemson graduate.

#19 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:44 PM

Let us also not forget that Thurmond was a Clemson graduate.

Thank you SCNitehawk2 I received your message!!! :)

#20 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted Yesterday, 12:45 AM

I guess they don’t realize that Strom had a black daughter 

Of mixed race, she was born to Carrie Butler, a 16-year-old African-American girl who worked as a household servant for Thurmond's parents, and Thurmond, then 22 and unmarried. Washington-Williams grew up in the family of one of her mother's sisters, not learning of her biological parents until 1938 when her mother came for a visit and informed Essie Mae she was her mother.[2]:13 She graduated from college, earned a master's degree, married, raised a family, and had a 30-year professional career in education.

Washington-Williams did not reveal her biological father's identity until she was 78 years old, after Thurmond's death at the age of 100 in 2003. Though he had little to do with her upbringing, he had paid for her college education and took an interest in her and her family all his life. In 2005, she published her autobiography, Dear Senator: A Memoir by the Daughter of Strom Thurmond, which was nominated for the National Book Award

https://en.wikipedia...ington-Williams

I'm sure he died happy and fulfilled.

This space for rent or lease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users