#1 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 20 June 2020 - 01:17 PM

< I sent a copy of the post below to Ray Tanner. I want him to know how usc is polarizing its fans by allowing coaches and players to become political activist while wearing their official usc titles and seeming to represent the u of sc. If he responds I will let you all know what he says. He's probably anticipated some fan backlash and has a canned response ready for me. That's ok because he cant change my mind>

As you all know and have probably seen it coming - our colleges and sports programs and conferences have now become political weapons of the liberal marxist left.  This is a very sad day to me as the realization that nothing is free from politics anymore sets in. Used to be you could go to a movie or a sporting event and not be barraged with and political "messages" or protests. You didn’t have to be lectured on how to think or behave by hollywood celebrities and well known sports figures whose own lives are in shambles because they have no morals or character. I refuse to allow them to bring grief and strife into something that I enjoy.

When politics comes in then the fun goes out. It's like filling a room with nitrogen. It pushes the oxygen out of the room, but you don’t even know it’s happening. You soon pass out and die from asphyxiation. These days I see my favorite college sports team now engaging in thoughtless left wing politics. They are pushing the oxygen out of the room, but I DO see it coming. I don't know if they realize they are alienating so many of their fans\financial supporters or not, or if they even care. Soon they will be taking knees, giving the flag their middle fingers, and making robert deniro type comments during post game interviews. Sad indeed.  I am sure(by their recent actions) my college sports teams coaches and players mostly support antifa and blm and believe that I am some old white privileged bigot. Because some stupid cop does something wrong now I must become a second class citizen and give away my history and heritage. In addition I must admit how racist and bad I am because God chose to make me with light pigmented skin.  Be assured that I don't fit in with their bow down to us or else group.

I have been a gamecock fan since the age of twelve. I stuck with them through good and bad. As most of you know it has been mostly bad and mediocre. However, I endeavored to persevere as good fans do.  I have also been a Christian since i was about 5 yo. and I must say that God has never let me down.  At some point I feel the need to question myself whether I support something that is going against God’s will. If I support something that God would not approve of then am I not guilty of it myself? I do not align myself with hatred, antagonization and division and that's what the democrat party, blm and antifa, news media, sports, music, and movie industries are about. I’m not into telling people what flags they can fly, or symbols they can wear on their shirt, or names they give to buildings they own. While falsely claiming to be tolerant and diverse they are in reality mongers of hate, division and antagonization. It is apparent that usc has decided to go in with satan’s minions. The ncaa says they will not allow tournaments now in a state that adorns flags of oppression. Well I think anyone that tries to force someone or blackmail them into conforming to their will is the very definition of oppression. So, I have made a decision and I will stick with it.  I hereby declare that I no longer support the university of south carolina, the sec conference or any of its activities, sports or otherwise.  Just like I did with the nfl a few years ago I will no longer attend usc sporting events nor follow them on tv\radio.  They will never receive one more dime of my money or a moment of my conscience thought. I can't serve God and play in the devil's playground too. So now I give up gamecock sports and all other sports just as I have movies produced by hollywood. I will continue to follow this thread until it's run its course but then that's it. I have enjoyed reading many of your posts over the years and wish you all the best. A lot of you are good God fearing people. God's way is love and forgiveness. The devils way is hatred and division and oppression. I encourage others to make that bold step. If you do not agree with the politicization of sports then disengage from it. You can do it! The ncaa, sec, usc and all the other sports teams and supporting organizations have NO power over you unless you give it to them. Without lots of fans most of them would collapse under the financial stress alone. The fans have the REAL power! As my mom used to tell me from time to time when I was a child “You’re getting too big for your britches”. Well our sports, coaches and players have now gotten too big for their britches” I’ve got my switch out and I’m using it. Now is the time - Choose your side. Goodbye and goodluck.

Edited by RoboRooster, 21 June 2020 - 02:48 AM.

#2 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

Bravo, Robo. Nice to see someone with a backbone. I agree, many more are going to walk away. 

I hope this happens nationwide. I would laugh my ass off if no was was around to buy autographs from various players and the lack of fans was severe enough no local business would benefit to pay for endorsements by any player in advertising.

Spend tens of millions of dollars for stadium improvements and training spaces and then a large portion of the fanbase become alienated. Nice move.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#3 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:48 PM

Thanks Brat. I'm just fed up with narcissists!

#4 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 20 June 2020 - 11:13 PM

Robo, I like your term, "endeavored to persevere." Last time I heard that phrase used was in the Outlaw Josey Wales where it was reported that Indian chiefs visiting the Secretary of the Interior had been encouraged to "endeavor to persevere" while they were dying on the reservations in the deserts of the west. We are dying here as fans while those who could throw us a lifeline are throwing us a noose instead in the form of political correctness. I for one am getting nauseated with all the efforts being made by our AD and coaches to stick their heads up the butts of the leaders of domestic terrorism. I hope to keep my hand in on this board however and maintain relationships where the majority seems to likeminded as I am minded.. 

Edited by Cockyprince, 20 June 2020 - 11:14 PM.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#5 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 20 June 2020 - 11:53 PM

Robo, I like your term, "endeavored to persevere." Last time I heard that phrase used was in the Outlaw Josey Wales where it was reported that Indian chiefs visiting the Secretary of the Interior had been encouraged to "endeavor to persevere" while they were dying on the reservations in the deserts of the west. We are dying here as fans while those who could throw us a lifeline are throwing us a noose instead in the form of political correctness. I for one am getting nauseated with all the efforts being made by our AD and coaches to stick their heads up the butts of the leaders of domestic terrorism. I hope to keep my hand in on this board however and maintain relationships where the majority seems to likeminded as I am minded.. 

You're very knowledgeable on your Clint Eastwood movies. I was in fact borrowing that line from Chief Dan George in "The Outlaw Josey Wales" .  

#6 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 11,197 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:58 AM

Thanks Robo. You speak for many of us.

#7 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:36 PM

Thanks Robo. You speak for many of us.

Thanks Doug. I hope many feel like I do and are fed up. It's funny though I've told quite a number of people this and a lot of them say they feel about the same, but not one - NOT ONE say they are ready to do something.  Many men died for the freedoms we have today on battlefields here and across the world so that Americans could be free from tyranny. They wouldn't have liked the government telling you you can't run your business or even go to church Sunday morning.  They wouldn't like being told that you can say this but not say that or wear this symbol but not that one. Many people died so Americans could live there lives and raise their children in a free country, but seems like not one today is willing to miss a few sporting events or movies to make a stand against the modern day nazis.

#8 53fan

53fan

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationRock Hill

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:57 PM

Thanks Robo. You could not be MORE RIGHT!

#9 Kiwicock

Kiwicock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • LocationAiken

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:35 AM

Great post Robo!!!!! This stuff is getting out of hand...people are going to start closing their wallets! How will the college and professional sports landscape look once those donors start drying up? Are we supposed to erase everything without compromise or discussion and a vote? Typical knee jerk reaction...when does it blow through neutral and go a compete 180? When people lose interest in sports due to politics and the market doesn’t allow for those big paychecks, all I can say to those athletes that supported this climate without compromise.......your welcome!

#10 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:12 PM

Well said Robo and many of us feel exactly the same way.  The evolution of Marxism being sown into the fabric of our society has been stealthy and sneaky, and has taken decades to fully evolve to where we see it today.  Well it can no longer be ignored, it's here, guns blazing!

I'm also disgusted in our AD and several of our HC and young athletes for becoming pawns for the far left.  I used to cherish college sports because it was one place you could enjoy entertainment without political activism, social justice or politics.  Fast forward to 2020 and we now have head coaches leading players in protest and incoming players becoming social justice warriors, even going as far as preaching on social media.  The last thing I want to read, see or hear is current or ex-players preaching about social justice.  What do most of these young kids even know about life?   I've honestly lost a lot of respect and interest in our entire college football program as of late, as a result.

This current episode of BLM begun when a corrupt cop killed an unarmed black man in Minneapolis.  This was used and hijacked by the far-left, media, politicians etc. to further their agenda of dividing and changing this once great country.  There is far less racism now than there was 50, 100 etc. years ago, yet we're being told to believe otherwise.   And of course we're also being taught that only white people possess the ability to be racist since we're all privileged.  We're also being told that we must erase our past by topping statues, removing names on buildings, streets etc. and not flying or displaying certain flags because this will somehow make perceived racism simply go away.  News Flash, racism can be found among all ethnic groups everywhere, whether people want to admit this or not.  It's simply a sad truth and one that's existed among our species for time immemorial.  It's doubtful that we'll ever rid ourselves of it 100%.

In closing, I recently saw where the state of New York will begin teaching students that our Founding Fathers wrote the Declaration of Independence for the primary purpose of upholding the system of slavery against Great Britain.  Forget the fact that Great Britain didn't abolish slavery themselves until 57 years later when they passed the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833.  Several other states are considering doing this as well as teaching much of what has been written in the '1619 project', an extremist initiative from the NY Times.  History is now being completely re-written and taught to further brainwash our youth into hating their own country, thus allowing the far left extreme to change the United States into something all together different than what we've grown to love and cherish.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#11 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:17 PM

You're very knowledgeable on your Clint Eastwood movies. I was in fact borrowing that line from Chief Dan George in "The Outlaw Josey Wales" .  

I use several lines from The Outlaw Josey Wales to emphasize plain commonsense truth. Buzzards gotta eat same as worms. 

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

#12 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:26 PM

My favorite lines

Josey Wales: Seems like everytime I start to likin' somebody- they ain't around very long!

Lone Watie: Yea, I've noticed that when you stop likin' somebody they aren't around very long either.

Edited by RoboRooster, 22 June 2020 - 06:27 PM.

#13 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:32 AM

Here is the quote that I think may have application for this thread and the world we are in at the moment.

Josey Wales: Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.

#14 redoakman

redoakman

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:17 AM

I too am sick of all the PC garbage and I posted something similar about our culture over on my FB page. As a white male who grew up in Georgia, I didn't think about disliking folks because of skin color. But, I had several episodes where my "privilege" cost me a job opportunity or promotion. Some privilege!

Been away from the board as I focused on my family and new grandsons. I shudder to think what crap they'll see or have to endure. But, I don't want to lose touch with the good folks here either.

By the way, Outlaw Josey Wales is one of my favorites and I have that one on DVD. There are so many great lines in that movie. God bless each of you, thank you all for being the great people you are!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users