13 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 11,197 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:26 AM

Will there be college football? A new flurry of pessimism has arrived. Gee thanks, Clemson.

In the wake of the Clemson’s football team’s 23 positive COVID-19 cases becoming public on Friday, a rip current of uncertainty is rippling through college athletics.

Around the country, the fear among administrators of not playing football in the fall – or having a season rife with interruptions and canceled games – has emerged stronger than at any point in the last month.

One industry source summed up the tenor as one of “overall discouragement.” Another college athletics industry source told Yahoo Sports there’s been “more pessimism the last few days than in weeks.” The source added that the negative feelings have transcended athletics, as college presidents are again concerned about the prospect of in-person classes being held.

With college athletes having been allowed to return to campus for voluntary workouts for nearly three weeks, the real-time complications of testing, tracing and quarantining athletes have been exponentially more complex than many expected. The chain reaction of positive tests and quarantining those they’ve been in contact with for 14 days has put in context how daunting it will be to eventually workout, practice and play games.

The past few weeks have reaffirmed the lack of a consistent national plan, the economic disparities for medical equipment among the FBS schools and the amount of overall difficulties in executing a season.

“I’m way less convinced we will play [football] than I was a few weeks ago,” one athletic director told Yahoo Sports.

One FBS coach summed up his uneasiness with the risks and complications this way: “I think there will be people who’ll be playing football. I just don’t know for how long or how much.”

The last 72 hours has seen the 23 positive tests at Clemson, 13 positive tests at Texas and Kansas State pausing voluntary workouts for 14 days after 14 positive tests. The University of Houston also paused voluntary training last week after six positive tests when the school didn’t test athletes upon return.

https://sports.yahoo...-222609082.html

#2 SCNitehawk2

SCNitehawk2

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:17 AM

While I think there will be some form of pro football, I am not optomistic about college football in light of recent events.

#3 fanalways

fanalways

Senior Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:07 PM

MLB might not have a season either.

LSU Confirms at Least 30 Football Players are in Quarantine Due to COV-19 (Article/Video)

Edited by fanalways, 21 June 2020 - 02:27 PM.

"Winning isn't a sometime thing; it is an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing". `Vince Lombardi (Hall of Fame Coach)

#4 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Somewhere In Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts
  • LocationYork County, SC

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:14 PM

Between the complex medical problems posed by Covid-19, combined with the division created as a result of the civil unrest throughout the country, I wouldn't bet on college football or basketball being played in 2020.  I have more hope that high school football will take place and could care less if the NFL never suited up again.

"Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world.  He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it” - Albert Einstein

#5 SCNitehawk2

SCNitehawk2

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:51 PM

MLB might not have a season either.

LSU Confirms at Least 30 Football Players are in Quarantine Due to COV-19 (Article/Video)

I would not bet the farm on a MLB season at all.

#6 SCNitehawk2

SCNitehawk2

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:18 PM

So far almost three dozen Clemson football players have tested positive for the virus.

#7 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:46 PM

So far almost three dozen Clemson football players have tested positive for the virus.

How many of those are in the hospital?

#8 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:34 PM

Between the complex medical problems posed by Covid-19, combined with the division created as a result of the civil unrest throughout the country, I wouldn't bet on college football or basketball being played in 2020.  I have more hope that high school football will take place and could care less if the NFL never suited up again.

I'm growing less optimistic about HS FB.  I don't care about the NFL either.  If they don't play, then we are probably in a bad place with C-19.

This space for rent or lease.

#9 RoboRooster

RoboRooster

Garnet Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:03 PM

I'm growing less optimistic about HS FB.  I don't care about the NFL either.  If they don't play, then we are probably in a bad place with C-19.

You got a message!

#10 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,643 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:25 AM

Easy Guys. Let's not worry about things each other say. This is an emotional topic for some. Not for me because they still haven't made me believe we are on the up swing. Just read this article.

AND YES WE WILL HAVE FOOTBALL THIS FALL !

https://www.livescie...-Qwy3MTEYS8mwqM

#11 BadCock

BadCock

Staff (Aynor Branch)

• Moderators
  • 3,643 posts
  • LocationAynor

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:28 AM

If this article has already been posted forgive me.

#12 Kiwicock

Kiwicock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • LocationAiken

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:12 PM

How many of those are in the hospital?

I don’t think any athlete/football players of any programs have been hospitalized at this point. The discussion on most sport sites is will the outlook change as soon as an athlete is hospitalized?

#13 SCNitehawk2

SCNitehawk2

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:01 PM

I heard on a sports talk show last week that the SC High School League are coming up with a five game season contingency plan.

#14 Cockyprince

Cockyprince

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the low country

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:53 PM

If we have BLM behavior from our HS athletes like college and pro I will give up an that too. Hoping the kids wont act up.

I wanta give these men a decent burial. Forget it. Buzzards gotta eat,same as worms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users