13 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 5,790 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

"Losing Florida State to the Atlantic Coast Conference was a major blunder. Getting South Carolina was even worse. That's like being dumped by Julia Roberts and marrying Roseanne Barr." - Paul Finebaum 1992, the "new face of the SEC Network." He is still persona non grata in the Palmetto State.

The State has a huge spread on Finebaum today.

He will be at Williams-Brice for the A&M game next year. I think we should put some thought and preparation into giving him a suitable welcome.

He also claimed to be the middleman between Bama's AD and Spurrier when they tried to get him to leave USC:

The caller, Finebaum said, explained that Alabama athletics director Mal Moore “doesn’t want his fingerprints on this. He can’t call (Spurrier agent) Jimmy Sexton. He has to have total deniability” in case Spurrier turned an offer down.

So, Finebaum says, he called Spurrier, who agreed to talk with Moore. “Then I got out of the way – but I was the middle man,” he said.

Finebaum swears the story is true. Spurrier … well, he doesn’t deny it, but is quick to dismiss the notion of leaving USC.

“I took a call from Mal Moore,” Spurrier said. “I’ve had a lot of calls, though not much the last five years. He (Finebaum) probably thought Alabama could get who they want.”

http://m.gogamecocks...ntguid=0W89Ue9e

#2 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

Gawwwsh!  Now, someone else to totally despise.

#3 Taragirl87x

Taragirl87x

Lady Gamecock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Location8 miles from Clemson in a town called Seneca so feel my pain lol

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

A name like Finebaum dont have much room to criticize anyone lol

#4 Kiwicock

Kiwicock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • LocationAiken

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

Finebaum is the biggest Bama homer on radio and TV! He's arrogant and definitely not well liked by other fan bases! Proof he's an idiot...when you look at where Carolina is today in the East! For some reason he despises Carolina...perhaps it's because we are the only team to have beaten Bama twice in the last 4 games we've played them including once when they were ranked #1 here at Willy B! By looking at him, you can see a nerd that wishes he had of been an athlete but not given genetic preference. I can't understand why they put him on TV because he has a face made for radio!

#5 Birdiecock

Birdiecock

Staff (Head Dogcatcher)

• Moderators
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

If he's the face of the SEC, then the SEC is butt ugly.

#6 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

He has a great face for radio.

Me?  I was better, but I got over it.

#7 GACock

GACock

Baseball Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • LocationBehind the right field palmetto at Carolina Stadium

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:19 PM

That man is one fine bum.

Go Gamecocks!!!

gacock

#8 Scootsbama

Scootsbama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

Growing up in Alabama (and being raised a Bama fan before going to Carolina), I can indeed tell you that Finebaum is not a Bama homer. He's an antagonizer, which means he needles the teams that are down. When Bama was down in the early 2000's, everyone accused him of being an Auburn homer. Keep in mind that he is actually a Tennessee grad.

#9 pop1

pop1

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:38 AM

Growing up in Alabama (and being raised a Bama fan before going to Carolina), I can indeed tell you that Finebaum is not a Bama homer. He's an antagonizer, which means he needles the teams that are down. When Bama was down in the early 2000's, everyone accused him of being an Auburn homer. Keep in mind that he is actually a Tennessee grad.

Sure coulda fooled me...he proclaims a great love for SOS, but his past remarks about Carolina and the SEC have left some deep scars on this old body.  I'll NEVER have any use for that guy.

#10 GACock

GACock

Baseball Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts
  • LocationBehind the right field palmetto at Carolina Stadium

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

I have a use for him. He would make a great anchor for a boat.

Go Gamecocks!!!

gacock

#11 SouthernGamecock

SouthernGamecock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

With those ears, I'm surprised that he's not been the first human to achieve flight.

I've never liked him, regardless of who he's criticizing.  And if reading about him wasn't bad enough, ESPN has now decided to put him on GameDay every Saturday!

#12 cockntaterland

cockntaterland

Defender of the Faith

• Moderators
  • 4,196 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Kershaw County, SC

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

he is an opinionated jerk...

as far as USC is concerned...compared to half of the "traditional" SEC...we seem to have turned out fairly good for the league...

USC is in California..

Carolina is in Chapel Hill

and Howards Rock is in North Carolina...

-Dabo Swinney

#13 Kiwicock

Kiwicock

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • LocationAiken

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

He's a Vol grad...but he is a Bama fan, make no mistake! His XM/Sirius show was based in Tuscaloosa before having a contract issue with them. When he signed a new contract, part of the agreement was to relocate his show to Charlotte partly because his ties to Bama and questions of bias. His job "The face of SEC football", required the appearance of neutrality.

He does not like USC...We haven't "been down" in a few years and he still tried to trash us every chance he got!

Edited by Kiwicock, 07 October 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#14 CharlotteGamecock

CharlotteGamecock

Staff Graphics Guru

• Moderators
  • 816 posts
  • LocationWilliams Brice Stadium

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

Universally disliked but yet ESPN makes him the face of the SEC?  I think you can get most SEC fans to object to this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users