#1 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

POPULAR

Several years ago, I became a fan of the Los Angeles Angels.  It didn't hurt, at the time, that the team was owned by Gene Autry.  (What?  You mean you didn't love Gene Autry when you were a kid?)  I realize most of you guys pull for the Braves, if you pull for anyone other than the Gamecocks, but, hey,.......You can only imagine how happy I was when they picked Michael Roth.

Yesterday, news leaked out that today (Saturday) it will formally be announced that the Angels have signed a six-year extension with Mike Trout through the 2020 season, a contract worth approximately $145MM, at which time Trout will be 29 years old.

When I was a kid, like some of you, I was lucky enough to have watched Mickey Mantle on TV as he was concluding his career.  I used to listen to the games on the AM radio every night as Bobby Richardson played with Mickey and the rest of the Yankees.  I learned a lot about baseball listening to Phil Rizzuto and Red Barber, Joe Garagiola, and occasionally Mel Allen, broadcast the Yankees games.  I've soaked up everything I could read and view about Mickey Mantle ever since.  Of course, I got to see just a bit of Willie Mays and others of that era, too, on the Falstaff Baseball Game of the Week with Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese.

Three years ago, little more than a year after Mike Trout had been chosen as the #25 pick of the 2009 major league draft, I began reading articles which blew my mind:  Mike Trout was being compared to none other than Mickey Mantle.  At first, the sacrilegious suggestions were usually placed at the end of articles where the writer could hide if readers started throwing eggs his way.  Similar articles eventually became easier to find.  Even after his American League Rookie of the Year season in 2012, baseball fans and executives weren't sure that the "sophomore jinx" wouldn't rear its head.  Well, it didn't!  As a matter of fact, Trout's second season was deemed by some to be equal to, if not better than, his first.

I write this so that baseball fans who love the game and have a sense of history will TAKE NOTE.  If you missed Mickey Mantle and his early career the first time around. you MAY be being given a second chance to watch the HISTORY OF GREATNESS as it's being made.

LA Times

Angels Baseball

ESPN

Baseball-Reference.com

Beyond The Box Score

Mike Trout At Any Age

The Best of Mike Trout, 2012 & 2013

Compromise

By the way, Michael Roth is scheduled to start the 2014 season with the Angels' AAA team in Salt Lake City.

So far, Mike Trout is the clean-as-snow model child.  Doesn't drink.  Lives with his parents in New Jersey during the off season.  Of course, I suspect he'll buy a home in Newport Beach now.  Or better yet, for tax purposes, Florida; he can rent in Newport Beach for six months a year.

Edited by ludwick, 30 March 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#2 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:52 AM

Tonight:  MVP of the 2014 All-Star Game

Gameday

Pay attention, baseball fans.  You've got another chance to witness history.....The next Mickey Mantle, without the vices.  So far, without the injuries.........

Edited by ludwick, 16 July 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#3 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

Grantland speaks.

Check this out, baseball fans.........

Edited by ludwick, 17 July 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#4 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

If I am not mistaken, Trout signed with Carolina, but obviously decided to go pro. Imagine him on our team of Yardcocks. Even more titles, no doubt.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#5 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

If I am not mistaken, Trout signed with Carolina, but obviously decided to go pro. Imagine him on our team of Yardcocks. Even more titles, no doubt.

Brat, I had forgotten that Mike Trout had committed to EAST CAROLINA baseball before finally signing with the Angels for a $1.215MM signing bonus.  The scout that signed him was a family friend who used to be on the same minor-league team with Mike's father.

I've got the MLB.com package, so I can watch his every game, even though they're very late for East Coast viewing.  Watching him is truly a treat.....I'm getting to see the early career, imagining it as being the likes of the young Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Roberto Clamente, etc., etc., etc.

Here's an article explaining how Trout fell to the Angels in the draft.  The lone comment after the article is also telling:

Most telling 'sour grapes' comment on Trout's explosion offensively was by TX Rangers mgr. Ron Washington in early June re. Trout  "He ain't no
Willie Mays" to which Marcelus Wiley on KSPN 710 AM Los Angeles responded.

"Willie Mays wasn't Willie Mays at 20! This kid is the real deal!"

Edited by ludwick, 05 August 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#6 brat

brat

Professor of Gamecockology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Brat, I had forgotten that Mike Trout had committed to EAST CAROLINA baseball before finally signing with the Angels for a $1.215MM signing bonus.  The scout that signed him was a family friend who used to be on the same minor-league team with Mike's father.

I've got the MLB.com package, so I can watch his every game, even though they're very late for East Coast viewing.  Watching him is truly a treat.....I'm getting to see the early career, imagining it as being the likes of the young Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Roberto Clamente, etc., etc., etc.

Here's an article explaining how Trout fell to the Angels in the draft.  The lone comment after the article is also telling:

Ah, ECU...

Yeah, when I was a kid, baseball was still king and having no team in the SE, the Yankees were the only game you could get. at times. Mantle was the idol of most.

Loved Ole Diz and Pee Wee calling games. Those were the days. Anyone who missed out on Diz hasn't a clue about real entertainment. Even if the game stunk, you watched it for him. Managed to sing the "Walbash Cannonball" at least once a game. The second baseman was the "second sacker", when the pitcher batted, Dean would call him the "slugger", and so much more.

Remember during the World Series, I'd ride my bike hime as fast as I could pedal to watch the game in glorious Black & White. Usually missed the first two or thre innings by then.

"When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

#7 williewonk

williewonk

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationDeltona, FL

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

If you had a really good teacher they would allow you to listen to the World Series games during class...Before Pee Wee Reese, old Diz's partner was Buddy Blatner..Diz would say things like..."he slud into third base"..good days..

#8 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

Ah, ECU...

Yeah, when I was a kid, baseball was still king and having no team in the SE, the Yankees were the only game you could get. at times. Mantle was the idol of most.

Loved Ole Diz and Pee Wee calling games. Those were the days. Anyone who missed out on Diz hasn't a clue about real entertainment. Even if the game stunk, you watched it for him. Managed to sing the "Walbash Cannonball" at least once a game. The second baseman was the "second sacker", when the pitcher batted, Dean would call him the "slugger", and so much more.

Remember during the World Series, I'd ride my bike hime as fast as I could pedal to watch the game in glorious Black & White. Usually missed the first two or thre innings by then.

Sounds like we were watching the same things.

Remember Diz talking about how he "slood into the bases"?

Falstaff Baseball Game of the Week, with Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese...........  I can still remember remnants of lots of the stories that Diz and Pee Wee told.  Learned a lot about baseball.

#9 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

If you had a really good teacher they would allow you to listen to the World Series games during class...Before Pee Wee Reese, old Diz's partner was Buddy Blatner..Diz would say things like..."he slud into third base"..good days..

Check my last post.  How's that for timing?

#10 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

23 Superstar facts on Mike Trout's 23rd birthday.

August 7, 2014 is Mike Trout's 23rd birthday.

#11 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

I had heard of Mike Trout's Dad's friend who scouted and signed him with the Angels, BUT I never knew that HE was a former Carolina Gamecock star.

Greg Morhardt

Collegeate and Minors Stats

I don't know the reason the Angels didn't keep Morhardt.

Morhardt's Dad, Moe.

Edited by ludwick, 05 October 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#12 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:52 PM

Mike Trout 2014 American League MVP

Sabermetrics

Edited by ludwick, 15 November 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#13 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:55 PM

Trout Stacks Up To Legends After Three Seasons In Majors.

#14 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:01 AM

500 games into Mike Trout's MLB career, he's in rarefied air:

The latest: Trout is one of five players since 1914 to score at least
375 runs and hit at least 95 homers in his first 500 games, joining Joe
DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Chuck Klein and Albert Pujols.

You don't often get an opportunity to watch history.  Baseball lovers, pay attention.

#15 cockntaterland

cockntaterland

Ray Tanner

• Moderators
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

The Mike Trout Fan Club is alive and well on Gamecock Nation!

#16 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:19 PM

Mike Trout Youngest to 100 HRs and 100 SBs in MLB History.

#17 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

I saw this on the morning sports and looked back for this thread (Really, I did, but not enough).

Congrats to the young man. 

Our Offense Doesn't Go To 11

#18 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:58 AM

It keeps on comin'........

#19 Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts
  • LocationI Used to Know

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:54 PM

Lud, how did you become interested in Trout's career?  Have you been a fan of the Angels?

He clearly has the goods and, what?, character.  

Our Offense Doesn't Go To 11

#20 ludwick

ludwick

Ray Tanner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:36 AM

Yeah....  Start by reading the original post on this thread.  Then, realize I lived in Southern California for several years.  The Angels were my team.  At a ball game in Angels Stadium, The Big A, and home in fifteen minutes on the non-rush-hour freeways, after getting to my car.

Didn't know who he was until I heard about the fact that he was being discussed the year of his draft.  The Angels had both the 24th and 25th picks in the 2009 draft.  Articles speculated that the Angels took him 25th for business reasons, not having to pay as much for a signing bonus as they might have if they had taken him 24th.  (He still got a huge signing bonus, commensurate with his talent).  He was next on the Yankees' list.  Articles started popping up, galore, in SoCal newspapers, which are all over the internet.  He spent only two years in the minors after signing immediately after the draft........didn't play games with management/ownership about getting more money as a bonus...went right to work.

There's actually some really good information in the links I provided above.  I learned only last year that the scout that found him was a former Gamecock.  I had read about the scout before, but never knew he was a Gamecock until last November after reading the article in The Snake.

When I started finding articles daring to reluctantly compare him to Mickey Mantle, it caught my attention permanently.  As I wrote above, he has all the talent, body, and skills to remind aficionados of young Mantle, but without the vices....The kid is as squeaky clean as fresh, driven, snow.  I saw Mantle on TV at the end of his career; he's always been my favorite.  Didn't know about the vices until long after he retired...didn't matter to me; I still loved him.  So, now I'm watching superstar history from its birth.

baseballreference.com      

Note he's already got 2.2 WAR after only 35 games.....162 game season.

Edited by ludwick, 17 May 2015 - 02:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users