Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,755 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

Excellent article by Scott Hood:

http://mobile.rivals... News-Headlines

"I felt a lot better about this weekend than last weekend," Holbrook said. "It was a lot more competitive. Things are starting to sort themselves out a little bit from the position-players standpoint. Our pitchers continue to throw well."

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#2 Heather Frierson

Heather Frierson

Yardcock Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

There seem to be quite a few guys this year really stepping up during these scrimmages. Unlike last year, I don't seem to be hearing much about getting the roster down except for how difficult it is going to be. Any standouts as to who may not make it this year?

#3 Doug Jolley

Doug Jolley

Publisher

• Administrators
  • 10,755 posts
  • LocationColumbia SC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Ahmed Christian and Shon Carson both look like they'll make the cut this year. GACock probably has a good handle on who won't.

#4 GACock

GACock

Baseball Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,939 posts
  • LocationBehind the right field palmetto at Carolina Stadium

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Its a tough question to answer this time of year because it is a topic of discussion which is absolutely taboo in the locker room and it is information that coaches don't want leaked to players or the outside... only the coaches and players know who needs to do what to make the roster, because they've been in discussion about it since Fall, usually in private. The 35 man roster (we have about 42 players competing) will be finalized the day before February 15th, Opening Day. They do that for a reason.

Most of those who leave in the Fall/December left to get on another roster for the spring; a lot of guys that leave the team have left to pursue other options or to attend a JuCo in hopes to get a second shot at Carolina. Usually, they go because they've had discussions with the staff and skipper and they know where they stand... they know they are a part of one of the best programs in college baseball and they know if they could realistically contribute... or not. Some insist on staying, relying on the fact that their coaches may see something during pre-season practices. Usually the die is cast. Inevitably, you have a player who decides to hang it up despite the level of talent (Jake WIlliams) or doesn't want to run the risk of getting cut or redshirted or even the more bizaar types of cases where a kid (freshman) makes the 35 man roster, only to quit (Mikal Hill) for no apparent reason or gets themselves into trouble with our staff (Ethan Carter).

That said, I've always thought it best to consider who might be redshirted. Sometimes, lightning strikes and a kid gets hurt before the 15th. We still have a week and a half to go (Feb. 14th). Others drop out because of those conversations had that only player and coach will know. Typically, it is at this time during scrimmages, you start to see some players inserted and given a shot to prove themselves. Sometimes you can make a judgement call by what you see on the line-up card this weekend. I will be anxious to see who gets a shot and usually it speaks volumes about the in-coming talent we have acquired last Fall. 

Prime example for this year. We are fully stocked at 1B this year, for the primary reason that we lost Walker. We have Dantzler who looks like he will start there, we have Klein and also Brison Celek who have paid sweat equity up to this point at the position and know the program (leadership is always a #1 need). In addition, you have Ryan Ripkin (talented), Zack Smith (JuCo transfer) and Curt Britt (1B/RHP). Six players are slated for the spot; some which have other talents as either DH (Klein/Celek), a possible pitcher with Britt and a very versatile infielder/hitter in young Ripken. You could see two or three of these players redshirted; maybe one gray shirted before the 15th. Who it may be will play a valuable role in the continuing development of this team as contributors to the scout team; you only get better if your practices can mirror the competition you will face. Who out of the six would make sense to hold onto? Who would make sense to redshirt? Who would make sense to offer a "gray shirt"?

Pitching. We have 20 pitchers currently on the roster. A lot of capable youth mixed with a lot of experience. You've got a two sport athlete trying to fit into this group. Seven true freshmen (one of which is the 2 sport athlete) trying to make the final roster. Maybe only two to three will get a look, with others getting the red/gray shirt or get the cut. There are others beyond our freshmen that are battling against a gray shirt and father time, as it is running out. Chances are very good you will see them on the bump this weekend if you attend scrimmages.

It is not my job to tell who will be cut, who will live to play on the scout team and who will watch Yard cock baseball from the stands this year. I wouldn't care to guess. I know it will happen as it has in previous years. I hope this post will give you an idea as to how the process is done; trimming the roster down with the knowledge (internally) that every player is given a fair shot and everyone selected is expected to contribute. I know it is not what you asked for, but it truly is the best anyone can give at this time in the process.

I have reviewed only two positions, but each position is considered as are the numbers of players who could realistically contribute to the spot on 2/15.  Several factors always come into play... sweat equity, talent, the ability to develop the talent during a small window of our regular season and the contribution a player can make on and off the field. Character matters with our staff.

Go Gamecocks!!!

gacock

Edited by GACock, 05 February 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#5 kevk11

kevk11

Back from the Wilderness

• Moderators
  • 627 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant, SC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Add a title and publish this as an article. ;)

#6 GACock

GACock

Baseball Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,939 posts
  • LocationBehind the right field palmetto at Carolina Stadium

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

I try hard to enlighten, but see myself falling short... my epitaph when the time comes, Kev!

Go Gamecocks!!!

gacock

#7 cht4usc

cht4usc

SPUR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Locationcolatown

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Really liking Coach Holbrook i really beleive he will do a great job here at Carolina.

"We are The USC"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Baseball

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users